Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > Canadian LAN Parties & Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 5, 2008, 05:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Derek, I dont want to sound annoying or anything, but Dave wasnt even at all aggressive at Ctoan. At the VERY end of the LAN, after all the prizes were given out and the final words were spoken, Dave gave a congrats to the success of Ctoan, and praised you guys for a job well done. Then he said a few words about what we had in store for Vanlan, and gave away some free admission. I think this was more than acceptable and please please dont feel like we are stepping on your turf!! We're trying to get a once a year event for the Competitive side of gaming here in Vancouver. You guys run a great event, I've gone to 2 of them myself, not to mention the great Caplan's and their Crew, who we all owe a TON of thanks. If we cant all get along, I see the already tiny West Coast LAN gamers getting even smaller. I dont want to see that Happen!!

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old August 5, 2008, 09:04 PM
Top Prospect

Looks like a lot of fun!
Old August 6, 2008, 10:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i agree with votex. Caplan crew FTW
Old August 9, 2008, 12:08 PM
Rookie

thanks for the props, my blood sweet and tear are all for the sake of lanning, I have even had to give up gaming to have enough time. Good to know that our work is paying off. As for Vanlan there were some miscommunication that slowed things down but props to dale for sitting in front of his computer with the guys from aim to game for 14 hours at a time, and Von from Aim to Game for providing over 30 hours of tech support over vent. and Cotton from Team HOT helped me a lot with ome of the router issues. GO tech team!

------------------------------------

As for the issue with dave. Firstly all being said I still showed up and vanlan and worked my 455 off to keep the event going, I wasn't much impressed by dave as he was mostly talk and continued to do so when there was work to do. He should reconsider his position and focus on event promotion and step away from the high pressure position of event coordinator. I'm not trying to slag him on this point, just suggesting that he refocus his abilities. Serenity chill out a little, not completely but a little. I was there too and although he did say a few words about ctoan, the way he took the mic and took control of the floor an a couple of occasions was not cool. what he said was fine but his attitude and methods of gaining position and putting derek in a position where he could either let it go on or take the mic an look like a jerk was not cool. What was poorly handled about the speach is that he asked for permission in the middle of the floor when he already had everyones attention thus putting derek on the spot. It even rubbed me the wrong way when we (caplan) were there are an extra hand to keep things going. Regardless if dave meant well intentions mean nothing if your methods are incorrect even if accidental. Personally I would have asked him to leave if he did that at my event. The main issue that alot of us have is the slogan he Used '{there is noting else in vancouver we will become the premier gaming event}' and the fact that he is brand new to lan gaming in vancouver, this was an arrogant move, and it belittled all of our(calapn, ctoan, dsl, Aelatis lan, lancouver, p3wnage lan .ect) efforts. Thats probably why a good chunk of the van gaming community does not like him. Plus now that the event has passed he has caused some trouble for all of us. He had sponsors giving him stuff expecting a big turn out (420 then 500 then 200) and only getting ~75. This will make it harder for us to get sponsorship in the future. I have already lost a sponsor for AELAN as a direct result. They do not want to invest in BC until it stabilizes. As well there is the issue with prize money. he was not able to pay out the cash prizes he promised. But thats enough slagging dave from me. before he can host a successful event, and before we spend our time helping him out, he has a few things to learn about business. Just don't try an learn it by running lans as it will hurt a lot of us.

that was a lot to say... sorry if it felt like I was ragging on dave. I'm just trying to support derek and give a bit more detail for people to make there own judgment. people still had fun at the event and thats what I was focusing my attention on while i was there helping out. sorry for the changing ip that cause people to drop from authenticated server (steam, battlenet, ect). The most impotent thing when trying something for the first time is to start small. As kids our parents gave us training wheels. As organizers we start in our garage and work our way up. non the less we (caplan, ctoan and DSL) will be working together at LML2 as a start for a solid pro gamer environment here in bc. As well with the launch of Lanpartyeh.com we will be able to avoid scheduling conflicts.
LAN 100 PC, 80 console
CapLAN is the longest running lanparty in Vancouver. Its a frequent casual lan hosted at Capilano University.
CapLAN 17 80 People TBA (September 2009)

Last edited by fratchwaggon; August 9, 2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old August 9, 2008, 06:51 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratchwaggon View Post
I was there too and although he did say a few words about ctoan, the way he took the mic and took control of the floor an a couple of occasions was not cool. what he said was fine but his attitude and methods of gaining position and putting derek in a position where he could either let it go on or take the mic an look like a jerk was not cool. What was poorly handled about the speach is that he asked for permission in the middle of the floor when he already had everyones attention thus putting derek on the spot. It even rubbed me the wrong way when we (caplan) were there are an extra hand to keep things going. Regardless if dave meant well intentions mean nothing if your methods are incorrect even if accidental. Personally I would have asked him to leave if he did that at my event.
Couldn't have said it better James... Thanks for the support/clarification. I don't want people to think I was just being a dick.

Quote:
He had sponsors giving him stuff expecting a big turn out (420 then 500 then 200) and only getting ~75. This will make it harder for us to get sponsorship in the future. I have already lost a sponsor for AELAN as a direct result. They do not want to invest in BC until it stabilizes.
I can't believe the turnout was only 75! That's really bad for sponsorships...
It saddens me to see BC lose it's rep all because of one incompetent person/group of people and their 'big idea for a LAN'.

Quote:
The most impotent thing when trying something for the first time is to start small.
I totally agree with you James. I don't know how you CapLAN and the rest of the LAN parties started out but C-Toan pretty much got started from scratch. Very little money was invested for the first event and most of the equipment was borrowed. As we have more events, our confidence and name will/has grown and so will the funds/investments available to us.

I think Dave was foolish to have started so big, especially knowing that there are other events in the area. ESPECIALLY the way he handled things with those event organizers...
Anyway, I don't want to turn this post into a Dave bashing. I just think the whole situation is unfortunate and it could have turned out a lot better if people played their cards right...

For now, let's embrace the positive aspects of the BC LAN party scene as they are still very much in action. We are experiencing a very exciting time right now with the founding of a LAN party community. I look forward to seeing it grow and prosper
Old August 18, 2008, 10:50 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I can't believe the turnout was only 75! That's really bad for sponsorships...
It saddens me to see BC lose it's rep all because of one incompetent person/group of people and their 'big idea for a LAN'.
dude.. DUUUDE. 75 out of the original "estimated" 500?? Those sponsors got horribly screwed.

Quote:
I totally agree with you James. I don't know how you CapLAN and the rest of the LAN parties started out but C-Toan pretty much got started from scratch. Very little money was invested for the first event and most of the equipment was borrowed. As we have more events, our confidence and name will/has grown and so will the funds/investments available to us.
Yup. I want to take this time to say i've been very impressed with how Derek and Chris have been handling themselves and C-Toan LAN. I've been attending C-Toan LAN from the very beginning, and I must say, it has sure come along way maturing into the great event it is today.

Quote:
For now, let's embrace the positive aspects of the BC LAN party scene as they are still very much in action. We are experiencing a very exciting time right now with the founding of a LAN party community. I look forward to seeing it grow and prosper
Yeaaaaaaaaah!
Old August 19, 2008, 01:45 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I've got a stack of switches now.
Old August 19, 2008, 02:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

There were about 120 peeps which isn't terrible. 75 paid in advance, which is also a great step forward in Vancouver. Still not enough people, but it was a step in the right direction. Having a huge 300+ person LAN in Vancouver is NOT going to happen unless that many people pre-pay, or someone has a LOT of money to blow. I want to see it happen one day, and will be there to help out. Also Fratch, Derek, I'm always around to help out should you need it.... I also have my fair share of sponsor contacts....

MSI Z77A-GD65
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old August 19, 2008, 02:16 PM
Rookie

300+ will happen, It will simply take some time to build it up, being the path we have been taking for the last 4 years. And when planning a lan its always best to assume only 50% - 75% attendance or else you will come up short financially.

As for a step forward I would argue against, the 120 people came expecting more then what was delivered as well as the companies that sponsored the lan. It was actually damaging to Vancouver. I lost two sponsors for Anime Evolution LAN due to there disappointment in VanLAN and the "instability in the west cost gaming scene" as one stated.
LAN 100 PC, 80 console
CapLAN is the longest running lanparty in Vancouver. Its a frequent casual lan hosted at Capilano University.
CapLAN 17 80 People TBA (September 2009)
Old August 19, 2008, 02:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yikes that sucks. Well lets show them up a bit with the next few LANs coming up!!

MSI Z77A-GD65
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling: