Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > Canadian LAN Parties & Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 23, 2008, 11:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Post Lan Report: C-Toan Lan, Jun. 20/21, Maple Ridge, BC

C-ToanLAN's third event took place this weekend, and it was a lot of fun. It was the third in a successful series of events. The venue was the same as the last two events, Thomas Haney secondary School.

Overview of the Lan.

I enjoyed their first Lan quite a bit, enough to make me go there without knowing how I was getting home. I arrived late and set up next to some friends. The venue was the same as it was for the past two Lans, which is an excellent place to hold a Lan. Thomas Haney School's Rotunda is large, and other amenities included projectors, including a presentation room with seats and movies going the night long.

The Smash Brothers game in full swing.

One of the first orders of business was to find out how bad I am at CoD4. Apparently having the game was enough to qualify me to play in the CoD4 tourney. A tourney in which the team I was playing for came second, surprising me that the rest of my team was able to make up that much for me.

That is a mountain of a computer!

Other tournaments included StarCraft, DotA (Defense of the Ancients, a WarCraft 3 mod), as well as Halo 3, Rockband and the newest Super Smash Brothers on the Wii. Unfortunately, the tournaments ran a little behind, and at some points it was hard to be sure what was going on. But other than that, they did happen and went reasonably smoothly other than some confusion with servers.

Gamers hard at work (work=gaming).

While this doesnít count as a tournament, Razer did have a contest to see how many temporary tattoos one could stick to their body, with a prize for the winner. Hilarity ensued.

Razer tattoo contest.

The network was stable and fast throughout the night, as was the power, and both were ready to go as soon as the Lan started. This meant that one could start gaming right away.

Looking down another table of happy gamers.

The Pizza arrived late, due to the bizarre occurrence of the pizza place thinking the order was a prank call. After I played some UT:GotY (Unreal Tournament: Game of the Year) on instagib and then normal weapons on Face. It has been a long time since Iíve played it, but it was nice to play it again.

People playing TF2. It was also free preview weekend for the game.

After chilling with some Audiosurf for a while on my own, I played some other games with friends while the last tournaments happened. And before I knew it, the Sun was up and people were packing up to leave.

Another overview of a another part of the Lan. Great venue.

After the prize drawing, which had some great stuff from sponsors such as FrontierPC, NCIX, Antec, SteelSeries and Razer, I helped clean things up and then went home.

Another view.

All in all, it was a fun event and was well worth my long travel time. Again, thanks to Derek and Chris for the great event. See the rest of you there next time!

A final view of the Lan. The floorplan was well laid out.

For more pictures, visit here: C-Toan 3 - June 20/08 -- Gallery #1
If you're interested in reading my report on the first Lan, here's a link: Lan Report: C-Toan Lan, Jan. 25/26, Maple Ridge, BC

Pictures courtesy of Chris and Derek.
Old June 24, 2008, 12:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I definitely had fun. I wish the tournament games were a little more organised, but other than that we definitely had our fun, and there was no network issues, apart from my Dlink PCI network card which decided to act up on me....

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old June 29, 2008, 03:22 PM
Rookie

The sc tourny was good for a bit but then at some point i think people lost interest and simply didn't report the winner/loser. then when a few games dragged on the good gamers that finished fast had nothing to do and wandered off so when we announced the next match up they were no where to be found. kayos followed.

CoD4 was a bit more down hill, but i didn't organize it. I reffed the two organizers for a bit as they were childishly arguing over settings. It was slow and messy but it still happened and a goo number of people had fun.

The rest of the tournaments went well. Now i do have to say that the best tournament that happened the entire lan was a console. I didn't even need to organize people. I just sat down with a white board and simple marked people off. half the time they would look at the board and figure it out for them selves. PC gamers hang your haed in shame for this was the halo tournament. SHAME!!!! (this post dose not represent the thought and believes of the Ctoan staff or admin)

Pizza was a bit of an issue, but this on made me hurt. This happened at CapLAN once, when they called in the big order they took it all down and then ignore it as they though it was a prank. A clear bit of miscommunication but we all got feed.and it was only 15 bucks.

All in all for a causal event it was well organized both in the event and even more so outside the event. and most importantly i had fun. thank you Ctoan crew
∆ LAN 100 PC, 80 console
CapLAN is the longest running lanparty in Vancouver. Its a frequent casual lan hosted at Capilano University.
CapLAN 17 80 People TBA (September 2009)
Old July 2, 2008, 04:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I wish this could happen here in toronto id love to battle yeall on Command and Conquer Kanes Wrath! or COD4 but lol my game is Halo3
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Old July 3, 2008, 01:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I never got any pizza because Carl had his house keys, so we had to drive all the way back to Vancouver.

MSI Z77A-GD65
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old July 4, 2008, 09:09 PM
Top Prospect

wait what does Carl's house keys have to do with not getting pizza?
Old July 4, 2008, 09:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Cause we drove to Vancouver and back, and in that time, we missed the Pizza, I guess....

MSI Z77A-GD65
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling: