Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > Canadian LAN Parties & Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 13, 2008, 12:34 AM
Rookie

Default Digital Storm 2008

As mentioned in my introductory post in the New Members section...

Digital Storm LAN 2008
August 1, 2, 3 (Friday 4pm straight through to Sunday 4pm)
Croatian Cultural Centre - 3250 Commercial Drive Vancouver
Tickets: $45.00 unlimited tournament entry
Platforms: PC and 360 (possibly Wii for smash brawl)
World Cyber Games qualifier for WCG Canada Nationals
Tournaments and contests will be announced very soon
350 seats in total
Website: http://www.digitalstormlan.com for info and discussion forum

To answer a few often-asked questions in advance:

We do not offer cash prizes, as this event is a fund raiser to help enable the opening of a non-profit digital media educational drop-in centre for youth to help them explore career opportunities in the digital media industry, and every penny of the net proceeds go into the centre's funding.

We do rely on corporate partnerships and sponsors for equipment, products and prizes.

We do offer exceptional ROI marketing opportunities for our partners and sponsors.

We are still searching for more partners and sponsors - especially those with new or unique products who are looking to get those products out into the gamer market.

We do have a few spaces left for those who are serious about volunteering to help and make this year's DSL another fun event. Referees, Player Assistance, Networking, Night Crew Supervision - if you're interested, we're looking for you.

You can purchase tickets in two ways:

You can purchase them through our website via PayPal (you do not need to have a PayPal account if you are paying by credit card)

or

You can purchase your tickets in person at VS Gaming Arena, located at 124 E. Broadway in Vancouver (under the blue awning on the south side of the street, between Quebec and Main). VS Gaming Arena is our exclusive retail ticket outlet.

We do have a facebook group and a page on myspace for those who spend a lot of time on those sites.

Thank you for taking the time to check us out, I hope we'll see some of you at Digital Storm 2008. =)
Old April 13, 2008, 03:43 AM
Top Prospect

Cool sounds like another fun event. However there are already loads of LAN parties going on in August.
This is for a good cause though.
I'd be happy to volunteer actually. Don't know much about networking but I am familiar with how LAN parties are run so anything I can do, just let me know.

lol you make the VS gaming arena sound like some sort of underground operation
"under the blue awning"

Anyway if you're still looking for referees or player assistance, I am willing to help. Even if you're not, I will still try to make it out.

If you guys need to choose an August LAN party, choose this one! Gooo non-profit charity!
Old April 13, 2008, 10:33 AM
Rookie

Thank you, serenity - we are indeed still looking for referees - which tournaments would you be interested in taking on (I know, I know, we haven't listed all of the tournies yet).

We have a lot of funds which need to be raised over the coming year, and I appreciate any bit of support we get. =)
Old April 13, 2008, 02:22 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I'll come if I have time, but I'm doing networking and power for VanLan not too long after that. So I may be a little busy with that.
Old April 13, 2008, 05:39 PM
Top Prospect

Well I can ref any game really. But yeah I'd have to know what the tourneys are first.
Also I will need to get back to you about volunteering 'for sure' as I will need to check with my employer to see if I can get the time off...
Yes, I work Saturday
Old April 13, 2008, 09:02 PM
Rookie

Thanks Dave - and totally understandable if you're busy with another event. =)

@ serenity - we have all day Sunday as well, so if you're working please don't give up the income you might need for something. We go non-stop from Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon, so there's plenty of time to drop by and help out if you want. ^.^

The definite tournaments will be the WCG ones - I have the final games list for WCG, but now we have to wait (and wait) until the WCG Canada organizers decide which games they will be holding at the Nationals. Other tournaments could include CoD4, TF2, BF2, DoW SoulStorm, RSV2, RockBand, a 2v2 Halo 3, CS:S, some others that I'm waiting to hear back from the studios about, and I just hit a mind-blank because I really want to go try out some games I rented today but I have to work on someone's web site graphics first. So not fair. -.-
Old April 14, 2008, 08:04 PM
Top Prospect

lol it's all about priorities. Unfortunately money's usually first
Yeah ok I shall do that then. Probably won't make it out Saturday night but Sunday for sure! Just let me know what games you need refereed.
Hmm although things could change. It's still a ways away...
Old April 15, 2008, 11:14 AM
Rookie

lol - yeah - money has a way of becoming a priority, especially when you need things like food, housing....games....

I'm not sure which tournies will be on Sunday, but most likely there will be a few semi-finals and finals. I'll be sure to let you know, though. =)
Old June 16, 2008, 11:22 AM
Rookie

A quick update - the UK rock group Mendella will be appearing Saturday night for a concert. This band is a group of very talented 17 year olds, and their hard rock performance would never lead you to guess they are so young. They will be appearing free of charge (other than power and equipment we have to provide) during their Vancouver promotional tour prior to going into the studio mid-August to record their first commercial CD.

You can read my review about their last Vancouver appearance here and check out their MySpace profile here
Old June 18, 2008, 12:49 PM
Top Prospect

Cool, sounds like fun!
Never heard of the though...
So I can still referee some games if you like... I'd really like to do a Team Fortress 2 tourney if there's gonna be one.
Oh yeah, since I mention this in every post, who wants to come to Alberta with me for Fragapalooza??
It's gonna be hella fun! Especially if we get enough bodies to rent a van!
See the "BC road trip to Alberta" post

But anyway, I urge everyone to go to Digital Storm. It's for a great cause and it looks like a lot of fun!