Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > Canadian LAN Parties & Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 14, 2011, 06:48 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Guy in the HWC shirt was MAC. I was the guy in the jacket and blue shirt.

Saw a few forum members there who stopped by the extreme overclocking stations.

It was a GREAT event. Next time I think HWC will be a bit more involved!
Old May 14, 2011, 07:00 PM
Allstar

I'm curious what the hourly prizes were and who won the $2000 PC.
OCZ SOLID 3 SSD|Seagate 1.0TB
2 X EVGA GTX 460 in SLI
Old May 14, 2011, 07:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Guy in the HWC shirt was MAC.
That's what I thought, but since I have pretty much no clue who MAC is, I didn't go and talk to him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I was the guy in the jacket and blue shirt.
I'm not that good with remembering clothing...
Old May 14, 2011, 07:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugbug View Post
I'm curious what the hourly prizes were and who won the $2000 PC.
The first 20 was an Intel SSD, there was also another SSD, some corsair ram and the rest I am not sure.

The winner was .... a guy with a non conventionnal cap... perhaps mulato (if that is even a word), he had a name, obviously, but I forgot it, obviously. He was pretty much extrovert and pretty confident in his skills prior to it starting. Thats as much as I can say.
Old May 14, 2011, 07:42 PM
Banned
F@H

woah,so it was gut? arr!
Old May 14, 2011, 08:30 PM

Unfortunately, I got there late so I wasn't able to take too many pictures of the crowd, but it was impressive. All in all, I'd say there were a good 150-200 people who were either there for the duration or came and went between noon and when I left around 9PM. The competition for the LAN tournament was quite fierce and I think the final count was ~60 paying contestants and several dozen people who just played for the fun of it.

Paul and the other Micro-Bytes staff were top-notch and very accommodating and held a great event. The facilities albeit small were almost perfect for the event; one main room for the standard LAN gamers, one for the extreme overclocking and manufacturer's setups and another for the actual tournament.

Gigabyte was as usual very, very generous and gave away plenty of freebies. NVIDIA was also there with a custom 3D Vision gaming system and other companies donated hardware for contests as well.

The prizes for the LAN contest were an Antec LanBoy Air for 3rd place, an Intel 80GB SSD for 2nd and a ~$2000 gaming PC for the winner. Throughout the course of the night everything from SSDs to PSUs to to gaming accessories was given away as well.

sin0822 from Xtremesystems was also flown in and supposedly attained some great results with a Gigabyte X58A-OC motherboard before I got there. Unfortunately, the failure of a PSU put things back by a bit and by that time it was time to pack things up. MAC also found that he has a great Xeon W3503....but that's another story for another day....pics in the my next post.
Old May 14, 2011, 09:08 PM

Good attendance with sino and MAC’s heads on the left, Gigabyte’s display in the middle and NVIDIA’s 3D Vision space on the right.

The competition room. As seen, in between the rounds it was open to non-contestants

A Sandy Bridge 2500K goes under LN2 on a Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H motherboard. This unassuming combo hit ~5.5Ghz I believe before the chip kicked the bucket due to an insulation “malfunction”.

MAC and Trouffman (from OCTV) starting with the second Gigabyte X58A-OC and the Xeon processor.

Pouring LN2 to get the Xeon processor as cold as possible to check for the minimum temperature this processor could operate under. In this case it was about -130 degrees. Oh, and it was PROPERLY insulated this time.
Old May 14, 2011, 09:18 PM

The monitoring tools of the overclocking trade doing their thing.

Sino’s station as the event began to wind down. Unfortunately, unpacking is much easier than putting everything away again….

The winner of the gaming system. And yes, it was a great hat….

The final 15 at the end of a long day along with Paul, the organizer (and some would say hero) of the event and the reps from Gigabyte .
Old May 14, 2011, 09:26 PM
Banned
F@H

nice!

some familiar faces there,hehe,although names escape me greatly!
Old May 15, 2011, 05:21 AM
Rookie

Thanks for coming out guys. The event was exhausting for me, but a lot of fun. I really hope to be able to keep doing these types of things and really building up the OC/PC Gaming community in Montreal. I know there is a lot of potential here, just look at Lan ETS as an example. They get a huge turnout every year. I want to do events of the scale of LAN ETS, but a couple times a year. On top of that, I want to keep doing these smaller events as well because I think they are great way to keep introducing people to our hobby/passion. All in all, I am a very happy man. :)

I need to mention that the people at Gamers Vault were outstanding. We were a little tight on space, but the owners really bent over backwards trying to make sure that I had everything I needed to make this event happen. I don't know many places that would have run new electrical for me at the last minute to make sure that I had enough juice to keep my event running smoothly without a breaker tripping. Really, I cant say enough good things.

Gigabyte was also an outstanding sponsor and I am looking forward to working with them again in the future.

Thank you all again for participating! See you next time!

Last edited by Llew; May 15, 2011 at 05:29 AM.