Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Canadian LAN Parties & Events (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/canadian-lan-parties-events/)
-   -   Lan party suggestion and tips (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/canadian-lan-parties-events/28610-lan-party-suggestion-tips.html)

ddrmanxbxfr February 5, 2010 12:14 PM

Lan party suggestion and tips
 
Hi guys, i'll be hosting a little lan party with a few friends soon. If it doesn't bother you i would like to have some tips for organising this little lan and mabye a few games suggestions ( take in consideration we'll be maximum 10 persons. ).

Thanks a lot guys !

BloodyIron February 5, 2010 12:29 PM

1) Make sure you have power properly balanced. It should be maximum 15Amps per circuit, and you should know who's connecting where. If you do this properly it should never be a problem.

2) Make sure your attendees are properly aware of what to bring and what not to bring. Are you supplying chairs? How long of a network cable do they need to bring? Will you be serving food or not? etc.

3) Make sure you have adequate hardware for your network. For your case it doesn't take too much work to get it going properly. Avoid hubs at all costs, make sure you are using switches. A standard router should work fine for you as long as someone isn't choking your upload limits.

4) Setup your area efficiently and before the event begins. It's a pain to continue setting up an event while guests arrive, and usually does not leave a good impression. Make sure you have garbage bins (with bags) and recycle bins readily available and placed at convenient locations. This will help your cleanup a lot.

5) Make sure your guests know any rules that there may be before the event happens. Do they need to clean up after themselves? Do they have to smoke outside? Etc.

If you have any further questions, just drop me a line.

ddrmanxbxfr February 5, 2010 01:50 PM

Okay hummm thanks a lot for your informations !
I've got some others questions.

1) How many amps in average a computer uses ?
2) I'll try to not allow any food near the computers. I think this way, im sure it won't get dirty like in those big lans party ( went a few time to the ETS and other big lans ) where it's kinda a big mess when you leave.
3) Would that kind of routing works
Router Port 1 ==================Router No.2 Port 1 ==== Wire From Router 1
Port 2 ==== Computers ******************* Port 2 ==== Computers
Port 3 ==== Computers ******************* Port 3 ==== Computers
Port 4 ==== Computers ******************* Port 4 ==== Computers
Wan Port === Internet ******************* Wan Port ==== Empty
4) Games suggestions ?

BloodyIron February 5, 2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddrmanxbxfr (Post 329128)
Okay hummm thanks a lot for your informations !
I've got some others questions.

1) How many amps in average a computer uses ?
2) I'll try to not allow any food near the computers. I think this way, im sure it won't get dirty like in those big lans party ( went a few time to the ETS and other big lans ) where it's kinda a big mess when you leave.
3) Would that kind of routing works
Router Port 1 ==================Router No.2 Port 1 ==== Wire From Router 1
Port 2 ==== Computers ******************* Port 2 ==== Computers
Port 3 ==== Computers ******************* Port 3 ==== Computers
Port 4 ==== Computers ******************* Port 4 ==== Computers
Wan Port === Internet ******************* Wan Port ==== Empty
4) Games suggestions ?

1) you need to calculate the amperage used based on the maximum wattage of the power supplies you expect in the people to come. The calculation works you take the Watts and divide it by the voltage, which should be 120v in your area, you then get the amperage. The average PSU is likely to be about 700W, but this is just an exaple.

700/120 = 5.83Amps maximum.

As you can see, a 700W PSU takes a good portion of a circuit. However remember this is the maximum draw it should pull. Some PSUs can go beyond this, but they are not rated for it. The important part however is that few computers use their PSU to max draw all the time. You will have to figure out what your crowd will likely have for PSUs and crunch the numbers as above.

3) I do not understand your illustration, sorry.

4) That's up to you.

Linus February 5, 2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodyIron (Post 329150)
1) you need to calculate the amperage used based on the maximum wattage of the power supplies you expect in the people to come. The calculation works you take the Watts and divide it by the voltage, which should be 120v in your area, you then get the amperage. The average PSU is likely to be about 700W, but this is just an exaple.

It needs to be based on how much power they will actually draw. My computer has a 1000W power supply but actually pulls about 425W from the wall under extreme load.

Core i7 975 @ 4.0GHz
12GB DDR3
2X GTX 260

etc... It's a pretty high end machine. You can expect to EASILY run 4-5 computer per breaker.

Linus

BloodyIron February 5, 2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linus (Post 329156)
It needs to be based on how much power they will actually draw. My computer has a 1000W power supply but actually pulls about 425W from the wall under extreme load.

Core i7 975 @ 4.0GHz
12GB DDR3
2X GTX 260

etc... It's a pretty high end machine. You can expect to EASILY run 4-5 computer per breaker.

Linus

It is ill advised to not plan your consumption based on potential maximums. However you should note I mentioned the average PSU of the attendees. You clearly do not have an "average" PSU in most cases. As such budgeting for your maximum would be foolish. However, budging for your 425W consumption would also be foolish.

You _NEVER_ want to undercut your power, this will come back to haunt you. But by the same token you should not be wasteful with your distribution.

Linus February 5, 2010 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodyIron (Post 329173)
However you should note I mentioned the average PSU of the attendees.

That's exactly what I'm trying to explain. Their average PSU is not important. What's important is how much power they will actually draw from the wall.

If 5 people show up with Core 2 Duos and 8800GTs, then you can assume that every machine will pull between 150-300W while gaming, even if they have 400W, 500W, 600W, and 1000W power supplies in their machines.

Linus

ddrmanxbxfr February 5, 2010 05:09 PM

Alright sounds good on the power side ! Thanks a lot guys again.

I made a little schematic about my routing question to know if it works !?!? and would it be better to route the 2nd router on the wan port or this is the only scheme where i need to chain every router to get the connectivity because using this im always losing one LAN port. Keep in mind that those are not commercial routers so i can't make them act as a hub...


http://www.noelshack.com/up/aac/sche...493a153c74.jpg

Deeival February 5, 2010 05:20 PM

Your schematic is absolutely correct. DON'T use the WAN port on the second router.

Jack Rabbit February 6, 2010 09:34 AM

If you just plug them both in like that the DHCP servers will conflict.

Counterstike Source (or your favorite multiplayer FPS) is a blast to play with a bunch of people in the same room. If you want to do five on five try to break them up physically (upstairs vs downstairs) so no one can see the screen of someone on the other side.

If you are hosting then be the host. Your house, your rules; this is not a democracy. Don't be a jerk, obviously, but lead. Good events don't just happen, they need to be shepherded.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:10 AM.