Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > Canadian LAN Parties & Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 17, 2009, 11:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default distributed lan partying :D

if some people are finding it hard to find lan parties you could always use hamachi. I know you could just go on an internet server but it's some how more fun when playing on a lan / vpn.

Old March 17, 2009, 04:35 PM
MVP

I didn't think Hamachi had enough bandwidth to actually pull off a decent LAN with a good number of people.

Unless they just do the connecting and let the 2 peers handle the actual connection.

That said, most residential connections won't handle the traffic of multiple people connecting to a game server. It'll handle a few, but not a decent number.
Old March 17, 2009, 05:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

unless of course you bond 2 dsl lines then your upstream would be around 1.6mb and not 800kb

Old March 17, 2009, 07:21 PM
Rookie

the issue is that himatchi is a centralized service so that all the traffic has to go through there servers. As well they only allow 16 people per network. I have been looking in to setting up a point to point vpn with a central auth server remote attendies can log in to. It will mean i have to use open VPN. I was thinking this at one point to get a multi city lan going. with a few lans in a few cities, something in vancouver, seattle and calgary/Edmonton. Any furhter then that and the pings would starts getting a but hi.
LAN 100 PC, 80 console
CapLAN is the longest running lanparty in Vancouver. Its a frequent casual lan hosted at Capilano University.
CapLAN 17 80 People TBA (September 2009)
Old March 17, 2009, 08:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratchwaggon View Post
the issue is that himatchi is a centralized service so that all the traffic has to go through there servers. As well they only allow 16 people per network. I have been looking in to setting up a point to point vpn with a central auth server remote attendies can log in to. It will mean i have to use open VPN. I was thinking this at one point to get a multi city lan going. with a few lans in a few cities, something in vancouver, seattle and calgary/Edmonton. Any furhter then that and the pings would starts getting a but hi.
for their free service yes. But i wonder if their commercial product could handle it. or open vpn that works to.

Old March 17, 2009, 08:21 PM
MVP

I'm pretty sure only Paid clients can connect to networks with more than 16. Once the 17th non paid client tries to connect they get rejected.

OpenVPN is a solution as well.
But if you're "LAN" gaming over the internet, you might as well play on a centrally hosted server in a real DC.
Old March 18, 2009, 06:23 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Wish there was a better alternative, but I don't know about any Ottawa-based LANs, hence I went to Digital-Overload earlier this month.
Old March 18, 2009, 06:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i'm surpirsed no one has tried to organize a HWC lan event :D

Old March 18, 2009, 07:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Free Hamachi is basically useless now.
Old March 18, 2009, 04:14 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
Free Hamachi is basically useless now.

Actually... I disagree.
It's still quite handy for idiot proof VPN and other things.

I don't think it was ever designed for gaming.