Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Canadian LAN Parties & Events (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/canadian-lan-parties-events/)
-   -   distributed lan partying :D (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/canadian-lan-parties-events/15880-distributed-lan-partying-d.html)

lcdguy March 17, 2009 11:32 AM

distributed lan partying :D

if some people are finding it hard to find lan parties you could always use hamachi. I know you could just go on an internet server but it's some how more fun when playing on a lan / vpn.

death_hawk March 17, 2009 04:35 PM

I didn't think Hamachi had enough bandwidth to actually pull off a decent LAN with a good number of people.

Unless they just do the connecting and let the 2 peers handle the actual connection.

That said, most residential connections won't handle the traffic of multiple people connecting to a game server. It'll handle a few, but not a decent number.

lcdguy March 17, 2009 05:18 PM

unless of course you bond 2 dsl lines then your upstream would be around 1.6mb and not 800kb

fratchwaggon March 17, 2009 07:21 PM

the issue is that himatchi is a centralized service so that all the traffic has to go through there servers. As well they only allow 16 people per network. I have been looking in to setting up a point to point vpn with a central auth server remote attendies can log in to. It will mean i have to use open VPN. I was thinking this at one point to get a multi city lan going. with a few lans in a few cities, something in vancouver, seattle and calgary/Edmonton. Any furhter then that and the pings would starts getting a but hi.

lcdguy March 17, 2009 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fratchwaggon (Post 165348)
the issue is that himatchi is a centralized service so that all the traffic has to go through there servers. As well they only allow 16 people per network. I have been looking in to setting up a point to point vpn with a central auth server remote attendies can log in to. It will mean i have to use open VPN. I was thinking this at one point to get a multi city lan going. with a few lans in a few cities, something in vancouver, seattle and calgary/Edmonton. Any furhter then that and the pings would starts getting a but hi.

for their free service yes. But i wonder if their commercial product could handle it. or open vpn that works to.

death_hawk March 17, 2009 08:21 PM

I'm pretty sure only Paid clients can connect to networks with more than 16. Once the 17th non paid client tries to connect they get rejected.

OpenVPN is a solution as well.
But if you're "LAN" gaming over the internet, you might as well play on a centrally hosted server in a real DC.

ChuckleBrother March 18, 2009 06:23 AM

Wish there was a better alternative, but I don't know about any Ottawa-based LANs, hence I went to Digital-Overload earlier this month.

lcdguy March 18, 2009 06:51 AM

i'm surpirsed no one has tried to organize a HWC lan event :D

Dr_BenD_over March 18, 2009 07:09 AM

Free Hamachi is basically useless now.

death_hawk March 18, 2009 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over (Post 165543)
Free Hamachi is basically useless now.

Actually... I disagree.
It's still quite handy for idiot proof VPN and other things.

I don't think it was ever designed for gaming.