Old August 27, 2017, 02:00 PM
Quadfather

Recent iTrader Ratings
Period: 1 Month 6 Months 12 Months
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

Default Gaming laptop

My physical and mental condition means I don't get out much anymore and spend quite a lot of time in bed. I've been getting by till now with a partially defective Alienware m17x R3 (i7-2xxx and an HD6850) that I got from another member and managed to get it limping. In short, It *has* to run the default dell drivers from 2012, newer ones cause artifacts, and *has* to run Windows 7 cause 10 crashes instantly. Lately it's begun to chug harder and harder - even HOTS causes the fans to spin like leaf blowers.

So, I'm looking for a replacement. Offers of used laptops or even suggestions of brand-new ones are welcome.

For the new option, I'm looking the following so far:
1) Asus GX501 Zephyrus - Love the size and portability will help me in my condition. Don't love the single M.2 slot, no 2.5's, and the supposedly flimsy nature of the bottom panel. Max-Q 1080 seems like a very nice option, despite it's lower clocks.
2) Gigabyte "stealth" series - GS models
3) Alienware 13/15/17 - always loved them, definitely an option
4) Razer Blade/Blade pro - to pricey perhaps

Wondering what others would suggest or have to sell. Especially interesting would be a slightly newer Alienware laptop that has the necessary port on the back for the "Alienware Amplifier".

Thanks all.
Old August 28, 2017, 09:23 AM
Quadfather

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

Replies to dead thread but none to this one. :(
Old August 28, 2017, 10:02 AM
Allstar
F@H

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

My System Specs

You might get more suggestions posting to the mobile forum I'm thinking if you are looking for some ideas on where to get refurbs and whatnot. I saw a little traffic there about back to school laptops recently.

In the mobile forum you could post your budget, thought, etc. and probably get more eyes looking!
Wife's Rig - MSI GL72M 7RDX
Old August 28, 2017, 06:45 PM
Rookie

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

What size of display do you want? If it was up to me right now there is only 1 15" laptop I would buy right now. Alienware has killed off their upgrade capable laptops so I would no longer buy anything alienware. There are only 3 manufacturers I would buy a laptop from right now that are overbuilt and good quality. Clevo/Sager and MSI. Even msi There are only a select few.
Eurocom's "supercomputer" line are my first recommendation. The eurocom Tornado F5 is an MSI based machine that is fully upgradable. It uses desktop socketed cpu's and MXM upgradable graphics cards like your old alienware. Its be far the best value and its 1070 MXM card is the same one I upgraded my alienware 17 R1 with. It will perform on par with the 1080 maxq BGA junk that other manufacturers are offering and it is upgradable to the 1080 desktop edition if you want more power later or you can afford it right away. Eurocom is also based out of canada. I have purchased a few MXM gpus from them and had no issues. I havent bought a notebook from them yet however as I usually like upgrading old things to make them new again.
If you play games on the internal display get the 120hz refresh rate screen option. It was the best money I spent on my alienware 17 R1 next to the graphics card.
Hope this helps!
Old August 28, 2017, 07:06 PM
F@H

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

My System Specs

What kind of Budget are you working with CM?

I have an Alienware 17 R4 and I can definitely say it was my hands down best computer purchase I've ever made.

It is easy to work on, easy to upgrade (my 17 has 2 x 80mm , 1 x 40mm M2 + 2.5 Bay). Cooling is good (all gaming laptops have loud fans when they game), sound is excellent. My Display is the lower end one, a co-worker got theirs with the UHD and 1080 and it's night and day difference.

My only complaints after just a little over 8 months of ownership is the top pad material. Its the akin to the BitFenix Soft Touch , and it picks up oil from your skin very easily. I am forced to give it a good clean with some cleaner once a week to just keep it looking good.
Otherwise, I love it.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old August 28, 2017, 07:44 PM
Quadfather

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

Thanks for the replies guys.
I'm not very eager for the ultra-heavy desktop replacements like Clevo's. Yes they may be more upgradable but an Alienware Amp (and a gpu obviously) would probably be the only upgrade i'd ever get. The clevo's are just too big and heavy for me, physically.
I do still like Alienware's, but the 17 may have the same issue. Love that it's upgradeable but if its like 9-10lbs plus the usual 3-4lbs power brick... its the same as the above.

Budget will probably be under 3k... but I'm not certain yet because it will depend on work/disability stuff.

So no one's got a used one for sale then I suppose :P
Old August 28, 2017, 08:03 PM
F@H

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
I'm not very eager for the ultra-heavy desktop replacements like Clevo's. Yes they may be more upgradable but an Alienware Amp (and a gpu obviously) would probably be the only upgrade i'd ever get. The clevo's are just too big and heavy for me, physically.
I do still like Alienware's, but the 17 may have the same issue. Love that it's upgradeable but if its like 9-10lbs plus the usual 3-4lbs power brick... its the same as the above.

Budget will probably be under 3k... but I'm not certain yet because it will depend on work/disability stuff.

17 Would be too big for you, it really is a desktop replacement in my minds eye.
The brick is small, but mine is only the 180W version, so its smaller (I have a 1060). The 17 with a 1080 is a 330W beast.

Maybe an EVGA SC15? Or AW 15 R3?
Those might be more feasible for you. Smaller, lighter, and powerful. EVGA's looks nice, just expensive.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old August 28, 2017, 08:38 PM
Quadfather

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

AW 15, the Zeph or a Giga Stealth (or MSI equiv) is pretty much my only options. Would still consider another option (used) if it means I dont break the bank so much.
Old August 28, 2017, 08:45 PM
F@H

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

My System Specs

For sake of ease of working on it, the AW is very good.

The other two I don't have experience on.

Old August 28, 2017, 11:48 PM
Rookie

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post

The eurocom F5 is lighter than an evga sc15 and almost a full pound lighter than the alienware 15 and comes with a slim 230w slim powersupply. Slightly smaller than your current alien if you have the 240w. It has thunderbolt so you can use 3rd party EGPU offerings to do exactly what the alienware amp does. Yes its slightly thicker but it actually weighs less than most of the "ultra-slims".

Heres some good info about the max Q 1080's.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA....224730.0.html

I tell everyone to stay away from them. You cant overclock them because they are constantly throttling already trying to keep under their TDP thats way too low for a 1080.

Seriously don't overlook this laptop. Its amazing for the money.