Recent iTrader Ratings
Period: 1 Month 6 Months 12 Months
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

My System Specs

Question Thermalright SI-128 SE bottom screws for P4 LGA 775

While looking how to cool P4 better, I was choosed this nice heatsink:

However it is a bit old, so I had to take a secondhad one. While the user claims that he used it for P4 to cool, then I did not expected any problems with missing parts.
I was wrong. Somewhere in the translation get missing the holding bottom screws for the backplate. These in the red rectangle, the "tyhle mi chybí" words means "I missing these":

As sign of irony, I got these screws that I did not need - for the other (AMD and such) supported sockets mounts... But these for P4 LGA 775 are gone and they are not so easy to replace and also they are not exchangable for the "AMD" ones, as they are smaller and for a good reason...

So out of curiosity I asking, if anyone have these, perhaps as leftover after using this great cooler or not. I live in EU, but could provide a US address, if anyone will be so kind to sell or donate them to me :)

Thermalright is not making P4 coolers anymore - their support told me this:
Quote:
The SI-128 SE is EOL since 4 or 5 years ;-) After SI-128 we had the AXP-140, and the newest version are the Thermalrigth AXP-100 and the AXP-200.

The problem is, we did not have anymore accessories for that cooler, because it is a very very old cooler and the newst cooler did not support Pentium 4 motherboards. They all have other mounting kits wich are incompatible to the SI 128 SE.
...and they will look for them, but the chance is minimal, so... who can wonder, after the years, right?
Old September 1, 2013, 05:34 AM
MVP

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

My System Specs

Looks like Thermalright IFX-14 have the very same accesories:

[M] Thermalright IFX-14 CPU Cooler Review

[M] Thermalright IFX-14 CPU Cooler Review

...but... there is one problem still, and that is the bottom cooling:

Thermalright SI-128 SE does not have it, so it is a good question, if the backplate and then the bottom screws are of same height! The space to fit two heatpipes in mine are very very limited, I would say 3mm?
I do believe that the Thermalright IFX-14 do have more space there, and hence the distance on the spacings on the famale screw might be different. But for the small ones it is worth a try, true.

Clearly better that trying to mod the heatsink with something...
Old September 1, 2013, 06:24 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

My System Specs

If I told you I found this complete back plate in my stash of old parts, you'd be interested? It is for a S775 board, and straight from a Thermalright box... would that work? It's a TRUE backplate.

Old September 1, 2013, 08:27 AM
MVP

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

My System Specs

Red face

Honest answer - I don't know. That is because I don't know if that can help me out. I have the backplate, that is not a problem. Just the female screws into it are missing... The good question is, if the female screws are the same - at least the distance of the wider part should not bend the mobo PCB...

Frankly spoken, I have similar (IIRC they are plactic and therefore notably thickier) backplates, but for Zalman heatsinks, too. Never tried yet, if I can use them - might be a good idea actually. As long, as I screw well tightly the metal overlaping bridge on the mobo, it should be fine.

So I just hoped that someone use that cooler on AMD and saved these female screws - but if you can take a closer up pic on the female screw from the top side (by witch it get in the touch of the mobo PCB) and measure the diameter of the part of the female screw, that get into the hole in PCB, then we know more ;)

Thanks for your help
Old September 1, 2013, 09:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

should fit for the cross has same (female screws) nuts, only issue I see might be thread pitch
Old September 5, 2013, 12:18 PM
MVP

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

My System Specs

Threads had to be same as the screws that come with the heatsink and they are basic 3 mm in dimeter and whitworth thread :)

By measing the bottom nuts for the backplate for Thermalright IFX-14 for the AMD with one helpfull guy from OC AU I have confirmed, that these Thermalright IFX-14 nuts are the exactly same size as the nuts for the Thermalright SI-128 SE!
This is good, because that doubles the chance of getting these nuts, so I can use the original solid looking backuplate :D

In the process, I made some pics of these AMD nuts I have:
Old September 5, 2013, 02:10 PM
MVP

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
If I told you I found this complete back plate in my stash of old parts, you'd be interested? It is for a S775 board, and straight from a Thermalright box... would that work? It's a TRUE backplate.

If this is the Rev2 backplate Thermalrights site says it will fit HR, Ultima90 and the IFX-14
Old September 8, 2013, 05:51 AM
MVP

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

My System Specs

If that is the case, then it will should fit the Thermalright SI-128 SE too, because as we measured, the AMD screws are the same size, so the only catch could be, that the distance of the holes are different. Witch is unlikely, because IFX-14 support the LGA 775 socket too.

And therefore this will help - but one helping user from OC AU forum created these much need nuts already:

And they should be off in the post tomorrow to me. Smaller thing that to send the whole backplate, right?
Besides, the original backplate looks to me more sturdy in terms of bending. The metal is solid and massive - just to feel it in the hand as solid piece of work - I will report the results with the nuts :)
Old September 22, 2013, 05:53 AM
MVP

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

My System Specs

So, that does look the backplate with Datsun 1600 nuts:

...and this is what get me confused:

I was under the impression that this nut dilate should be directly holding to the mainboard PCB, but there is a free place...

That resulted in some movement of the backplate, witch I fixed by adding about 0,8mm teflon pads bellow these metal "bridges":

And that allow me this nice cooling (a bit oversized compared to the mobo,lol) - but now I have active NB cooling as well:

So the NB should be pretty happy with their cooling :D

...and, of course, a big thanks must go to Dastun 1600 for this nice CPU upgrade:

Almost 2x faster CPU, hooray! Quiet and with great low temps! Perfect!