Old February 5, 2008, 08:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Recent iTrader Ratings
Period: 1 Month 6 Months 12 Months
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

John, I had a ton of respect for you before this show of kindness. That respect just went up 10 fold. And Ugly, what you are doing for disable childern is awesome and I have a ton of respect for you too. There show be more people like you guys in the world.

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old February 5, 2008, 08:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

yes good job charlie..someones going to be very happy with their new system

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old February 5, 2008, 10:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

Sorry Ugly...Mine's gonzo...thought I had one but I guess not...

Great Job 3.0Charlie! You're awesome!

And I'm actually thinking of the following...Maybe we could do this a little more often, making it a HWC Forum thing whereby members or non-members(who'll have to sign up of course) could donate their 'old' or 'not-in-use' hardware and send it to Ugly for example, who makes systems from it and hand it out to the needy or less fortunates....We could all help by getting this operation to run properly, finding 'targets'(eg. people in need) and the making it official part would be, the receiving party in a picture with their new equipment???

Any ideas on this?
Old February 6, 2008, 12:27 AM
MVP
F@H

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

My System Specs

I have a pentium 4 lga775 520 proc and a dfi lan party 875p-t mobo.i dont know if you would be interested in them.
DFI Product for Mainboard
Old February 6, 2008, 04:35 AM
Top Prospect

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

Quote:
And I'm actually thinking of the following...Maybe we could do this a little more often, making it a HWC Forum thing whereby members or non-members(who'll have to sign up of course) could donate their 'old' or 'not-in-use' hardware and send it to Ugly for example, who makes systems from it and hand it out to the needy or less fortunates....We could all help by getting this operation to run properly, finding 'targets'(eg. people in need) and the making it official part would be, the receiving party in a picture with their new equipment???

I totally agree, im u p with this, i got some old stuff and im willing to give it for free.
Old February 6, 2008, 05:51 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

My System Specs

I have a few more (unused) parts I could let go. Let's say that this time UnG took most of them! And guys, this is nothing. It was an old setup, my very first oc'er. It had more sentimental value than anything else.... I'm sure you can do the same too. Doc, you should talk to Gav about starting a project like such, and lets all support UnG.

John
Old February 6, 2008, 06:21 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

I suggest if you guys want to do something like this that you support organizations in your local area. This isn't necessary, just my belief that people often overlook those who are closest to home. I don't just consult for banks and tech companies, I also own a little candle company that I use to generate products and profit for use in charities like my local chapter of Hospice House. An hour or two every week makes a huge difference in other peoples lives... seriously. It's not about thumping bibles or anything like that, it's just helping someone else. It can be anything, picking up food from drop offs for the food bank on your way to work or starting a mailing list with living information for those who have no idea what an RSS feed is. Do something SMALL and commit to it long term and you will make more of a difference than doing something big once a year.

Not that I'm turning away donations lol, we have more need than we have decent machines. When I send out a rig, I always make sure it's up to date enough to make XP fly . I don't recycle P3's for example, mostly netburst stuff over 2GHz and A64 single cores as that seems to be the sweet spot for performance and the ability to find cheap memory and video cards. We don't send out old CRT's because the fact is these kids are self conscious of their differences already and having what looks like a funky new computer that can't be identified as anything but brand spanking new is a boost to their self confidence. Most LCD's are easy to fix, it's usually an inverter or a cold cathode tube that needs to be replaced. I always buy new keyboards and optical mice as that adds that "just unboxed" finish.

I stick to what I know, I mean I'm a lousy carpenter with bad eyesight so I don't build stuff for people, but as a grade A geek I can pretty much build anything that has to do with PC's so that's where I try and help. Besides it's easy to tell your S/O your rig needs replacing and that you are going to donate the old one :D hehehehe.

Anyhow, I'll gladly take hardware and when it's used I'll tell you in relative detail where it went what it's doing without posting recipient names in public. Typically a photo of a kid with a custom painted new rig makes anyone smile. I won't stockpile a whole load of stuff, because that's not reasonable and commits me to more work than I have time for. We aim to get a unit out once a month or so and that's already a big commitment in the time department when you think about getting components together and sourcing little bits and pieces, testing and installing, getting cases to and from the artists shop etc.

Anyhow, if you'd like to help let me know, I like other people getting involved and I will GLADLY help you start doing the same thing in your local area.

Guess I've yapped enough eh? Good day :)
Old April 13, 2008, 03:48 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

My System Specs

This is going to sound odd, but has anyone heard from UnG lately? I sent the parts over, he told me that pics would be sent end of February once the rig was given. I sent him a PM early March, still no reply. And if you look at his profile, the last activity was Feb 29th.

I have a big heart, I love to give out. Feels warm and all fuzzy inside. But once again, I think I got screwed.

I'll never learn.
Old April 16, 2008, 09:31 PM
Top Prospect

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

well if his story aint true why wouldnt u have posted these in FS sections I would have bought them! =)
I love the good ol' stuff.
Maybe he's been busy putting these together.
something are just too good to be true sometimes
he also made a good point about "support organizations in your local area" that prob would have been better then shipping and spending the money just to donate something.
idk but good luck contacting him