Old July 10, 2010, 03:51 PM
Top Prospect

Recent iTrader Ratings
Period: 1 Month 6 Months 12 Months
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

Default BFG GTX280 OC Edition 1gb - Faulty? $140

I purchased a BFG GTX280 1gb OC-Edition video card from a RFD member(no feedback, should of known lol) about 2 months ago for a friend. He was the one who picked it up and did the transaction and he didn't look at it, and apparently it was opened, thus no warranty. However, he didn't care, as long as it worked.

It worked fine but it overheats and locks his computer, and mine when I put it into my desktop, so he started to tone his settings down and it was fine. However, recently it has been producing artifacts. It finally stopped booting properly, and now it doesn't go past the Windows bootup screen. I didn't tinker into it more as I didn't want to completely fry the card or destroy it lol.

Now, I've been reading up and people say its fixable by putting in new thermal paste, or putting an aftermarket fan or reflowing the capacitors by baking it. Too much work for me, so I'm just going to sell it, as I traded him my GTX260 for his faulty GTX280. Been meaning to get an Eyefinity GPU anyways :)

Looking for $140, or toss me an offer. I'm in the Greater Toronto Area. Boxs and manuals can be included if you want them, just have to find them lol. Willing to ship for $5 more. Will take EMT for non-local purchases.

Thanks

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by coriolis; July 10, 2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old July 10, 2010, 04:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

When you say it was 'opened', I assume you mean the heatsink had been removed at some point. If this is the case, it's very possible it was replaced with no tim. If that's the situation, this could be a quick fix and a good deal for someone willing to tinker with it!

Good luck with the sale.
Old July 10, 2010, 04:26 PM
Top Prospect

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
When you say it was 'opened', I assume you mean the heatsink had been removed at some point. If this is the case, it's very possible it was replaced with no tim. If that's the situation, this could be a quick fix and a good deal for someone willing to tinker with it!

Good luck with the sale.
Yea, the GTX280 sticker on the side has been cut, so it was probably opened. I am about to leave for a sleepover(yeahhh, rad ) with some old friends, I won't have access to the video card til tomorrow evening. I might just open it and take a look inside, I have a small bottle of Zalman Thermal Grease, not sure how much left is in it though...

Also, if anyone locally(in north-eastern GTA) wants to meet up to actually look at it(and open it), I don't mind, its just sitting there.