Rookie

Recent iTrader Ratings
Period: 1 Month 6 Months 12 Months
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

Default Old copy of a Windows OS

Hey all,

I found a deal for post-secondary students that allows a purchase of a genuine Vista Ultimate upgrade license for major discount off the normal price. This is great, and I plan to take advantage of it for an upcoming build, problem is, I need a genuine earlier version of windows from which to upgrade. This Upgrade license is pretty forgiving, allowing upgrades from all the way to '98SE.

What I require is a Genuine copy of any one of Windows 98SE, 2000, ME, XP, etc, with installation CD and product Key.

So if, for example, If you have an old legit copy of '98 kicking around that is not currently in use, I would be happy to pay the shipping costs for you to send it to me along with the product key sticker (which often takes a razor to scrape off an old tower) and perhaps a couple bucks for your troubles.

Either respond here or PM me if you're interested.

Thanks for the help,

Cheers,

-Greg

Check out www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-ca/default.aspx for more info.
Old January 7, 2009, 11:43 AM
Allstar

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp5322 View Post
Hey all,

I found a deal for post-secondary students that allows a purchase of a genuine Vista Ultimate upgrade license for major discount off the normal price. This is great, and I plan to take advantage of it for an upcoming build, problem is, I need a genuine earlier version of windows from which to upgrade. This Upgrade license is pretty forgiving, allowing upgrades from all the way to '98SE.

What I require is a Genuine copy of any one of Windows 98SE, 2000, ME, XP, etc, with installation CD and product Key.

So if, for example, If you have an old legit copy of '98 kicking around that is not currently in use, I would be happy to pay the shipping costs for you to send it to me along with the product key sticker (which often takes a razor to scrape off an old tower) and perhaps a couple bucks for your troubles.

Either respond here or PM me if you're interested.

Thanks for the help,

Cheers,

-Greg

Check out www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-ca/default.aspx for more info.

Thats Microsoft Office bro. Not the operating system. Or at least thats what your link is bringing up.

| ASUS P8Z68-VPRO | Intel i5 2500K | 8Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme | 2x 60gb OCZ Solid 3 SSD | EVGA GTX260 Core216 |

Old January 7, 2009, 11:56 AM
Rookie

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

There's a link under "additional products" that outlines the Vista Ultimate offer. It's on the left somewhere. You might need to buy Office to take advantage of it, but my wife needed a copy of Office anyways, so I tagged on for the discount.

-Greg
Old January 7, 2009, 12:22 PM
F@H

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

My System Specs

I don't get home from work until 11pm EST , however I should still have 1-2 copies of Geniune Windows 98SE with everything Key and all.
I will take a look when I get home, and either post tonight or tommorow and/or PM you.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 7, 2009, 04:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

My System Specs

You don't need another copy to use the upgrade version. Just google "vista upgrade clean install" and you will see how you can easily and legally use upgrade as a stand alone install.
Old January 7, 2009, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
You don't need another copy to use the upgrade version. Just google "vista upgrade clean install" and you will see how you can easily and legally use upgrade as a stand alone install.
lol - yes that's a glitch and it's ridiculously easy to do, without ANY tools or reverse engineering - that's an old trick in the book, Microsoft is fully aware of this, but I thought they patched that hole, they probably revised the setup - and I doubt it still works.

Funny I was doing some clean up and I stumbled on my Windows 98SE CD and book, with the genuine key holographic sticker, NEVER used or isntalled, was a mistake - and I jumped to WinMe instead ;-) I was going to throw it away, but now I can't remember where I put it
Old January 7, 2009, 06:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

My System Specs

No, this is not something they ever planned on fixing since most of their sales are OEM copies anyways. In fact, it is hard to find upgrade versions for sale anywhere but Ebay. I did an install like that less than 2 weeks ago and it worked fine.
Old January 11, 2009, 08:30 PM
F@H

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

My System Specs

Default Found it!!!

Do you still need?

Regards,

ST
Attached Images

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com