Hall Of Fame
F@H

Recent iTrader Ratings
Period: 1 Month 6 Months 12 Months
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

A good idea to keep the threads clean.

One thing though if the seller provides a good service to the buyer in there FS thread- its ok to leave a bump in that FS thread stating that he was a good seller when you bought an item from that thread?

I agree with not randomly sprinkling comments about being a good seller if the person hasnt actually recieved an item in that particular thread.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old November 26, 2008, 09:17 AM
F@H

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

My System Specs

Until Itrader is up we'll probably leave a "I got my stuff in good condition" post up for folks who don't have heatwave or an ebay profile. We don't want it to get carried away though, and once Itrader is up and running they won't be necessary as folks will be able to get the same info from that.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 27, 2008, 05:28 AM
Top Prospect

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

My System Specs

I have in the past been inclined to "thread crap" when I see someone coming into a forum of enthusiasts trying to sell something for a ridiculous price. As if we don't know what something is worth. It's insulting.

My suggestion which Gav put in place was to suggest in the rules that people check the prices on Pricecanada and ebay before pricing their item. But as we all know, nobody seems to read the rules, how many times do people, even forum veterans have to be remined to post pictures.

The problem is you can't have people openly slamming for prices asked. Even I have felt the pinch when trying to sell a Video card I paid a few hundred for just months ago. Reality is that prices drop, better hardware comes out and you'll never get your $$ back in a resale unless you do it quick.

PMing is the polite way, but it can easily be ignored so I understand why someone would publicly comment.

I doubt this issue will ever be resolved but I think it could be helped by allowing users with enough points to click on a thumbs up or thumbs down pricing icon. Of course that would have to be supported by the web logic. Or barring that just a way to put a strike against a particular post for "crapping" so that it would be removed after three strikes, then the moderators wouldn't have to intervene....

Low...

Old November 27, 2008, 08:44 AM
Banned

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

Charlie is a notsee mod!!11one lol

Actually in all seriousness, thank you Charlie for your ability to take initiative on this matter. For your decisive action and your calm and clear guidance, I am grateful!

In assessing the situation further, some of the recommendations to help prevent people from charging ridiculous prices for goods but then again this is a free market. I will not worry though, as I have complete faith in this board as it is hands-down the best computer resource board I belong to and the moderation and content is second to none.
Old November 27, 2008, 09:23 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

I get riled too when I see someone selling an ATI x800 for $200. But what good does it do to PM them? They don't have to change the price and some less informed buyer might fall for it and then wonder why they can't play the latest games with this card. Free market sure, but the are the mods going to police this?
Old November 27, 2008, 10:14 AM
F@H

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
I get riled too when I see someone selling an ATI x800 for $200. But what good does it do to PM them? They don't have to change the price and some less informed buyer might fall for it and then wonder why they can't play the latest games with this card. Free market sure, but the are the mods going to police this?
Why should the mods police something like this in a free market? Buy & sell boards have always run primarily on the "buyer beware" principal. It's up to purchasers to make informed decisions, and if that isn't enough, a quick trip through the price compare link up top should give them a pretty good idea of what it's worth new.

Quite frankly, if a person doesn't know enough about hardware to make an informed decision on prices, they should either find a friend who does, or stick to buying retail.

IMHO, what you're suggesting would be extremely heavy handed and could easily result in arbitrary decisions by mods. The idea here is to keep the rules as simple as possible so that the job of a moderator is cut and dried... I for one wouldn't want to be the person who'd have to decide if a certain piece of hardware was still worth 90% of original retail value after 3 or 4 years. That's up to the purchaser to decide.

Moderation in a buy and sell thread should (IMO) be limited to keeping the threads clean, preventing spam or obvious scams, ensuring that they don't contribute to illegal behaviour, and finally (but most importantly) trying to react if a bad deal goes down so that it doesn't happen to any other members.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 27, 2008, 10:36 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Mr. Wilson clearly defined the boundaries of the Mods in the FS threads, and I totally agree. Now, I have a question for you: why is it so important for the members to highlight those prices?

I think I know the answer: it's because members that know the Market prices don't want other members less informed about the Market prices (and the component's relative performance) be screwed by a zealous seller.

Unfortunately, this is a Free Market. Buyer, do your Homework first.
Old November 27, 2008, 10:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Mr. Wilson clearly defined the boundaries of the Mods in the FS threads, and I totally agree. Now, I have a question for you: why is it so important for the members to highlight those prices?

I think I know the answer: it's because members that know the Market prices don't want other members less informed about the Market prices (and the component's relative performance) be screwed by a zealous seller.

Unfortunately, this is a Free Market. Buyer, do your Homework first.
A site ran by people is a site governed by people.

With that said if I see a thread with pricing I feel is out of sorts I'm going to say something. Messaging a person will not always work as some people are firm on their prices and don't like or won't want to drop their prices so what course of action do you have? If you can't say something to a mod to have the price reflected or changed that that only leaves one course of action... Posting in the thread informing the poster the price is too high and that they should change it so that others who see the thread know this.

Its just like buying retail because you get ripped off in retail too which is why again you need to do your homework because different stores will sell the same product at different pricing, but the difference with retail is that you want to keep the customer in your store to make money.

This place isn't about keeping the person here to make money.. its a free spot to try to make a penny.
Old November 27, 2008, 11:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

My System Specs

It's none of our business what price someone asks for their gear.

The market will dictate whether they actually sell it or not. If you don't like the price, don't buy or make a counter-offer.

If you crap the thread it just leads to flaming and problems.

If there's an issue with the price, a polite PM is the way to go. If the person ignores you, well, too bad. If someone's going to buy something used, they should know well enough to do a bit of research.

Mods should not have to police prices and other users should not thread crap. It's not a hard concept.
Old November 29, 2008, 01:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Recent iTrader Ratings
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

Wow now that was a mouthfull/eyefull to read all 4 pages. First off i love the new feedback iTrader window. Brilliant!

With that said i think it was implemented at a perfect time i too have noticed a surge of "New" sellers. Some of them have very little posts and the cautious side of me tends to want to avoid buying from them as any rational person would do.

I think like some have suggested a minimum amount of posts would be a good idea atleast so the person becomes familiar but then again we are growing and im sure that is going to get harder and harder. Either ways im sure yea'll will think of something, There are some amazing deals that go on in this section lets keep that going for a long time. Anyways good job guys.

And remember We need more for the fight! Join the team 54196
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Tags
buy & sell