Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 27, 2008, 06:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default HELP ! Xfi + hauppage pvr 150

Hi,

I tried looking on the web but cant find anything that solve my problem. So I am turning to you guys.

The problem is the following:

When I install my Hauppage PVR-150 drivers. (they do it automatically under Vista64) it installs the audio drivers.
- Then my x-fi stops working.

-When I look in the device, vista64 tells me it cant load the drivers of the X-fi and my ''default sound device becomes the hauppage. I tried to disable and de-install drivers through the control panel but It does not work.

If I physically unplug the Hauppage, then the x-fi restarts working.....

Help dont know what to do.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old August 31, 2008, 11:27 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

You may have tried this already but make sure that your X-Fi is the default playback device under the "sounds" section of control panel.

Otherwise you could try placing the sound/pvr card in a different slot on the mb. Perhaps there is a conflict (although if you can get to windows this may not be the case). Worth a try though.
Fold for team #54196
Old August 31, 2008, 12:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yeah currently thinking about changing the slots. The problem about setting default sound is when the PVR is in the slot, I cant even access the X-FI through Windows....

Sold hardware again.....
Old September 3, 2008, 03:15 PM
Allstar

Make sure your using the latest drivers for both devices. This may also be the trouble. When they are both installed did you try going into the Vista sound control panel and resetting the X-fi as default for sound output?
Old September 4, 2008, 11:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yes I did try to go in the vista sound pannel, but the X-fi was not even available has a choice. Then I unplugged the hauppage and re-booted. the X-fi was available and I set it to default, no problem.

The only thing I see is that I am currently unsing the second PCI for my X-FI and should maybe move it to the first PCI and plug the Hauppage in the second PCI slot. But then, I would have to undo my loop because one of the tubes would be in the way. Not sure what I will do.

Sold hardware again.....
Old September 4, 2008, 11:45 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Look in the IRQ table in your mobo bios. You can manually change the irq's for each slot. Looking to me like you have a hardware conflict.
Old September 4, 2008, 12:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

ok IRQ settings ? this is new to me. Time for some googling. I'll be looking at this. Thanks

Sold hardware again.....
Old September 5, 2008, 09:51 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Changing the slots physically change the IRQ settings (which is why I mentioned changing slots). Sucks that your cooling is in the way. I haven't messed with IRQ settings since Windows 95/98 days, as Windows creates virtual IRQs to avoid these conflicts. If you are not using parallel ports/serial, etc you should turn those off as it will free up some IRQ assignments as well.

A quick search in Google gave me this page with the common IRQ assignments listed: PC Hell: Explanation of IRQ's, DMA's, and Conflicts This table indicates that many sound cards use IRQ 5 or 10. If you do not use a parallell port, perhaps you can try making one of your sound cards IRQ 5 and the other 10.

Again, I haven't had to deal with this in quite some time (since I was a teenager!), and the last time I did I just moved pci slots which was much easier.
Fold for team #54196
Old September 6, 2008, 05:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Thanks,

pretty sure I'll end up re-doing my loop one of theses day and try it, or I will just do a whole HTPC :)

Sold hardware again.....