Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 23, 2008, 08:25 PM
MVP

Default what sound card to get ?

have 75 bucks to spend , card'll be used for gaming only (using vista 64 ultimate) ?
thanks
Old August 23, 2008, 09:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Asus Xonar.
Old August 24, 2008, 11:27 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

One mistake you dont want to make. The creative x-fi extreme audio card looks like a good price but it has an old audigy chip on it it, not the x-fi chip.

Dirty business tactics.
Old August 24, 2008, 11:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
have 75 bucks to spend , card'll be used for gaming only (using vista 64 ultimate) ?
thanks
Asus Xonar.
Old August 24, 2008, 08:58 PM
MVP

ended up spending another 35 bucks and ordered this Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium FATAL1TY PCI-E 1X 24BIT Sound Card 7.1 Optical IN/OUT - DirectCanada
xonar looks good though,dc didnt have at the time i ordered ,from what i could tell this doesn't have the vista & eax issues of older creative stuff ,hope its as good as all the reviews say it is
Old August 24, 2008, 09:02 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Cool, a pci-x card, let us know what you think of it. I'll have to get on when I go xfire and block my pci slots.
Old August 24, 2008, 09:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
ended up spending another 35 bucks and ordered this Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium FATAL1TY PCI-E 1X 24BIT Sound Card 7.1 Optical IN/OUT - DirectCanada
xonar looks good though,dc didnt have at the time i ordered ,from what i could tell this doesn't have the vista & eax issues of older creative stuff ,hope its as good as all the reviews say it is

bad bad bad.

Not only did you get a creative product you bought a over priced tagged "Fatality" product.
Old August 25, 2008, 06:08 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Cool, a pci-x card, let us know what you think of it. I'll have to get on when I go xfire and block my pci slots.
Sure will do also got Zalman 5.1 headphones,never had anything other than on board sound before.
Old August 25, 2008, 06:16 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post

bad bad bad.

Not only did you get a creative product you bought a over priced tagged "Fatality" product.
"bad" guess we'll see this came on the market this July as Creatives getting back to what they should have been doing ,the Fatality part I wasn't fooled by that could care less about it over priced ? only 35 bucks more.Lots of reviewers gave it top marks for its vista/eax compatibility and unlike xonar ( a good card no dought) it doesn't access your cpu to operate, I know Creative went side ways in the past but it appears their back on track with this one.

Last edited by Jim; August 25, 2008 at 06:26 AM.
Old August 26, 2008, 06:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sorry, there is nothing creative ever build or thought of that can hold a candle to the Xonar. EAX is over-rated and even creative cards have to emulate it in Vista since Vista does not allow it to function so you are still offloading the work to the CPU to get EAX in Vista.