Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10, 2008, 08:20 AM
Allstar

Default PC Music Recording and Creation thread

Hey Guys, I wanted to start up this thread for people looking for tips and pointers for setting up their systems for music recording or Creation. This way we can keep the info in one place.

Last edited by Robscix; August 10, 2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old August 10, 2008, 03:07 PM
Allstar

Great idea. I'm currently having problems getting audio from my Prelude in Leopard. Other than that I have a simple setup and using Alesis M1 Active Mk2 monitors. Still haven't gotten around to buying much gear as I don't really record anything. Although I was recording a nice Steinway piano Friday, just as a memento for the family. Now I'm stuck with Logic installed but no audio haha. I think it's going to be a little tough mixing it :)

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old August 11, 2008, 11:07 AM
Allstar

What are you thinking of using to record the Piano?
Old August 12, 2008, 06:30 AM
Allstar

I ended up using a Presonus preamp connected to an Eridol UA-101 interface and from there into my laptop. I had an Audio Technica small diaphram condenser for the top strings and a large diaphram condenser on the low strings. Sorry, I don't remember what models they were. It turned out pretty good considering I've never mic'ed a piano before. I finally got the audio in OSX working (had to use the onboard audio instead of the Prelude) and Logic all setup so I can finally do some mixing. I actually need to install some plugins first (Sonalksis, PSP etc). I orignially tried using an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra (had to output all channels to usb) but that failed miserably. I tried 4 computers, 2 running xp and 2 running OSX and none of them would recognize it. It looks good, but it's a POS really. I think it's the first generation so hopefully they can actually get it working properly as it would be a great solution for some people. I originally went that route since my boss wanted to use his Mac Air which only has 1 usb port. I was going to use it with the Eridol but the drivers only support usb 1.1 in OSX, which is what let me to use my laptop with XP.

I think that's enough rambling and probably more than you wanted to know haha.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old August 12, 2008, 06:57 AM
Allstar

Just to note, usually when recording try and keep your input levels between -6 to -4 this will allow for spikes in the sound and hopefully keep the input signal away from the digital ceiling of 0.0db. If you are still haveing difficulties let me know and maybe I can help.
Old August 12, 2008, 09:33 AM
Allstar

The recording is actually finished. I was done on Friday. The input was peaking at no more than -4db but I haven't had a chance to listen to the full recording as of yet. Thanks for the offer though.

Old August 12, 2008, 09:44 AM
Allstar

Well this is good levels then. Keeping the between -4db and -6 db leaves overhead for peaks in the recording and room for adding effects and final compression and limiting. -if used. How did the recording turn out?
Old August 12, 2008, 02:52 PM
Allstar

Pretty good from the limited listening I've given it. I have one long recording of about 1 hour so I might break it into chunks where possible. It was very informal and he was talking throughout and telling stories (which was wanted) so I'll see how things go once I really start getting into it. I think there might be a few spots where it's clipping from the Eridol even though I was constantly checking the levels so I may have some editing to do.

Old August 19, 2008, 08:55 AM
Allstar

I find many people think it is harder to get into then it really is. Granted you need to invest some money for atleast basic gear. All depends what kind of recording/creation system you want.