Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 10, 2008, 07:21 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Advice on cheep mixer?

I have a bunch of audio sources on my desk that I would like to feed into my simple amplified stereo computer speakers. I would like a simple 4 channel audio mixer that I can run them all through and then into then into the speaker amp. Ideally I would like something with sliders; just for keen gear factor.

I have no problem buying/building the necessary cables or adapters to wire the setup but I just do not know what most of the options and crap on these this do. I have seen plenty of mixers that have all kinds of microphone amps and other crap that I just do not need or want and, for all I know, could break what I want to do with it.

I want something reasonably small and simple around $100. I like the look of this:

MIXERS / POWERED MIXERS - ANALOG MIXERS - MICROMIX MX400 : Ultra Low-Noise 4-Channel Line Mixer

but I just do not know if it will do the job. What would happen if I ran the line level output from a computer into this rig? Would it amplify or distort the sound? Is the impedance right for the application or will it mess up my amp or, worse yet, my computer?

Does anyone have some suggestions for part they know would work for this application?

TIA
Old July 10, 2008, 08:25 PM
Rookie

Mixer's channels are mono. So if you want to feed 4 stereo sources you need 8 channel mixer. 4 channel mixer let you feed only 2 stereo sources.

MX400 has mono output, it's not for your needs.
You need something like MIXERS / POWERED MIXERS - ANALOG MIXERS - EURORACK MX602A : 6-Channel 2-Bus Mixing Console
or MIXERS / POWERED MIXERS - UB SERIES MIXERS - EURORACK UB502 : Ultra Low-Noise Design 5-Input 2-Bus Mixer
or MIXERS / POWERED MIXERS - UB SERIES MIXERS - EURORACK UB802 : Ultra Low-Noise Design 8-Input 2-Bus Mixer with Premium Mic Preamplifiers
or MIXERS / POWERED MIXERS - UB SERIES MIXERS - EURORACK UBB1002 : Ultra Low-Noise Design 10-Input 2-Bus Mic/Line Mixer with Optional Battery Operation

Also check Mackie and Yamaha mixers.
Like that one Mackie - 402-VLZ3 (savedbytechnology has it for $107)
or Yamaha Canada Music | Live Sound | Products

I'm not sure if you'll find new mixer with sliders for this price but the used one - more likely.

WBR, Victor.
Old July 11, 2008, 03:05 PM
Allstar

There are quite a few decent units for great prices. Beringher units are good. Yamaha mixers are great also. You need to figure out exactly how many inputs you need and consider expansion..meaning having more inputs for future use.

You will have various type of inputs such as ones you can connect your PC outputs to. Most channels on newer mixers will also have a gain control if any of your sources need amplification. I use a 12 channel mixer, so I am quite versed in using a mixer with a PC. Look around and see what is within your budget and if you have any questions ask away.
Old July 15, 2008, 08:54 PM
Rookie

Best Bang for the Buck --> Soundcraft COMPACT 4

Sick Sick Sick mixer. Very versatile and high quality.
Old July 16, 2008, 04:04 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Thank you all for your suggestions.

The Soundcraft compact 4 looks like a good little unit but (please tell me if I am wrong here) it looks like it only has two stereo inputs. Microphone inputs are not suited to my purpose and I doubt I will ever use them.

The Europack UB1002 looks like it would work for what I want but it is still rather busy. I doubt I will ever use 3/4 of the controls on it. It is only fifty bucks on musiciansfriend.com so it would not break the bank if I bought one to play with although I will probably have to dump another fifty into building cables to adapt the computers to the mixer. Having a monitor out is a bonus (I think) as I can plug my headphones in there when I do not want to use the speakers.

What do you think of this unit?

Nady MM-242 4-Channel Mini Mixer online at Musician's Friend

It looks like it is more suited to my application. I will always use it in stereo mode so half the controls are wasted but at least it is compact and the wire mess will be easier to handle as the jacks are on the back instead of the top.

Also, do you guys know any stores in downtown TO that might stock this kind of gear? Better yet, have a used selection?

TIA
Old July 16, 2008, 06:58 AM
Allstar

Here we go, this oughta float ur boat!
Attached Images

Old July 16, 2008, 07:37 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post

The Soundcraft compact 4 looks like a good little unit but (please tell me if I am wrong here) it looks like it only has two stereo inputs. Microphone inputs are not suited to my purpose and I doubt I will ever use them.
Soundcraft is good. I forgot to mention it in my post, sorry. So, thanks to tomek to bring it on.
You can use channels 1 and 2 as the third stereo input, they accept 1/4" jacks.

Quote:

It looks like it is more suited to my application. I will always use it in stereo mode so half the controls are wasted but at least it is compact and the wire mess will be easier to handle as the jacks are on the back instead of the top.
I would say NO.
It seems well suited to your needs, but it has 2 major disadvantages.
First, it has separate left and right channel output volume controls, that means you'll have to turn 2 knobs together to adjust your sound level.
And second, according to few reviews it gives noticeable background hum to your signal - it really sucks.

Quote:
Also, do you guys know any stores in downtown TO that might stock this kind of gear? Better yet, have a used selection?
TIA
I know only savedbytechnology.com
They are on Yonge between College and Wellesley.

WBR, Victor.
Old July 16, 2008, 08:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post

The Europack UB1002 looks like it would work for what I want but it is still rather busy. I doubt I will ever use 3/4 of the controls on it. It is only fifty bucks on musiciansfriend.com so it would not break the bank if I bought one to play with although I will probably have to dump another fifty into building cables to adapt the computers to the mixer. Having a monitor out is a bonus (I think) as I can plug my headphones in there when I do not want to use the speakers.

TIA
Steve's music on Queen Street has all sorts of this stuff for you. But I suggest Long and McQuade on Bloor st Downtown as they have great customer service and if you ask they will let you rent the unit for a few bucks (like 5% of the cost I think) and then if you decide to buy they will take the rental cost off the price! So you can try out a couple units to find one you like!

Long & McQuade
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old July 16, 2008, 10:51 AM
Allstar

To note, on most mixer inputs are generalised -Meaning they can be used for everything and anything. I have a 12 channel mixer and it has mic preamps on every channel but that doesn't mean they are mic inputs. They are just very versatile in their design. Most mixers will follow that idea in design and implemetation. Inputs can usually take many different kinds of signals, mic, mic with phantom power, line level...etc... Good luck with your search.
Old July 16, 2008, 10:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Make your own! I just finished working on a pair of mixers, lets just say my head is still spinning from the 5 or 6 hours of soldering.... about 300 connections and 180 1 1/2" wire that I needed to cut and tin....Anyway I took some pics and will post them here. Myself and my friend are actually thinking of taking orders, making mixers/control boards to peoples specs.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.