Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 9, 2008, 12:43 AM
Rookie

Default Help me decide - Prelude or SB Titanium

Seeing how NCIX has the Prelude for $129.99 AR which is only like a dollar more than the SB Titanium, the Prelude is looking like a good buy right now for my upcoming comptuer build.

I've read good and bad feedback about the Prelude, mostly dealing with Creative's drivers (Wish they would open up the driver to Auzentech); however, I have read that the new SB Titanium uses a new driver set that apparently works as advertised with Vista.

I tried finding a review pitting the SB Titanium against the Prelude, but it seems reviews decided to pit the Titanium against the Asus DX and the Xtremegamer. I think it was Extremetech that said the Titanium is actually a great card under Vista, even outperforming the DX and the Xtremegamer. They said the Titanium had great compatiblity and lower CPU usage, but I would assume that it's the "working" drivers that's actually giving it the advantage as I can't see how moving to PCI-E could improve current soundcards.

Is it really true that the Titanium actually has a "working" driver set for Vista? If so, are these new beta drivers for the PCI X-Fi actually fixing these cards and presumingly attempting to match the Titanium's driver set?

It seems terrible for Auzentech to be limited by Creative's refusal to open up the drivers, but I do want the best gaming card. If the Titanium really has solid drivers, I might consider it over the Prelude as from what I have heard, the PCI X-Fi drivers still need some hamburger helper and I don't want to risk the chance to assume that Creative will actually fix the PCI X-Fi driver set.

Thanks!
Old July 9, 2008, 08:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Creative's drivers are always going to be subpar IMO. It took them nearly a year after Vista to get decent drivers out for the X-Fi.

From everything I've seen, the Xonar has superior audio quality over the X-Fi. However you loose EAX5 hardware support (EAX doesn't exactly work in Vista anyways) and slightly higher CPU usage overall but I'd think ASUS's drivers are a lot less bloated than Creative's so you might save on memory usage.

And the current beta drivers for X-Fi in Vista x64 suck. I had to remove them since I lost CMSS-3D. I'm using SBXF_PCDRV_LB_2_15_0006.
Old July 9, 2008, 08:17 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Go with the prelude it is an amazing card, plus creative drivers suck ass. The prelude destroys any creative product. I have a SB fatality and i am very disappointing with the quality of sound. Get the prelude. DO IT NOW :P
Old July 9, 2008, 08:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Asus Xonar. Far better card than ANYTHING Creative based. I've owned them all and the Xonar is just better. While this is a subjective decision based on taste, buying a card for EAX is silly. Don't give Creative your money, they will only give you terrible support and drivers.
Old July 9, 2008, 11:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

get the auzentech. A far superior card. Creative drivers suck ass. If you can find it get the x-meridian much better than the prelude if you have a digital sound system as it supports both DDL and DTS Connect.

Old July 9, 2008, 11:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I 2nd the Auzen. I had a prelude, it gave me driver issues, I am sad I sold my old X-Mysitque.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old July 9, 2008, 12:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex View Post
I 2nd the Auzen. I had a prelude, it gave me driver issues, I am sad I sold my old X-Mysitque.
Prelude IS auzentech ;)
Old July 9, 2008, 12:51 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the input all. Seems like a split decision .

Well, I missed the Prelude sale over at NCIX, so maybe I'll make my decision later tonight for the new weekly sale. Maybe they'll have both the Xonar and the Prelude on sale . That would make things interesting!

Well, if it means anything, I'm using Logitech Z-5300. I was leaning towards the Prelude as it appeared to give the best of both worlds, great audio components and also native support for EAX. However, if the the Xonar is truly the better the card in terms of audio quality, would I even notice the difference with my speaker setup? If the difference is really small, I might as well go with the Prelude.

I know buying a card specifically for EAX is a poor decision, but what I have heard about the Prelude, ignoring Creative's part in their drivers, is that the audio quality is actually much better than Creative's.

Just wish Creative would open up EAX to developers. It would seem a Xonar with native EAX would truly be a great card.
Old July 9, 2008, 01:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I dont consider the Prelude a Auzen.... Its been infected by the Creative brand.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old July 13, 2008, 06:07 PM
Allstar

Go for the Prelude 7.1. It also has DDL and DTS-C and the analog sound quality is top quality compared to other cards out now.