Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 28, 2008, 04:18 AM
Rookie

How about if you're just running audio from S/PDIF, and not any of the headphone/speaker jacks, is there a difference between the 2 cards?

Reason being, I bought the Azun X-Fi 7.1 yesterday but had driver issues with Vista (furthermore, it was an open box, and the previous owner had already activated the serial number). So I returned that card and got the Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Champion card. It does DolbyDigital + DTS out just fine, is there an advantage of one vs. the other? I have 15 days to return this card for a full refund/exchange.

Thanks!
Old July 28, 2008, 04:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXVANN View Post
How about if you're just running audio from S/PDIF, and not any of the headphone/speaker jacks, is there a difference between the 2 cards?

Reason being, I bought the Azun X-Fi 7.1 yesterday but had driver issues with Vista (furthermore, it was an open box, and the previous owner had already activated the serial number). So I returned that card and got the Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Champion card. It does DolbyDigital + DTS out just fine, is there an advantage of one vs. the other? I have 15 days to return this card for a full refund/exchange.

Thanks!
Now is the creative actually upmixing your sound to dts/ac3 output or is ti jsut passing through the source. If it's the latter than that there is the biggest difference as the auzentech cards can upmix the audio and out put them at a 5.1 dolby audio stream or a 5.1 DTS bitstream.

Old July 28, 2008, 06:35 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdguy View Post
Now is the creative actually upmixing your sound to dts/ac3 output or is ti jsut passing through the source. If it's the latter than that there is the biggest difference as the auzentech cards can upmix the audio and out put them at a 5.1 dolby audio stream or a 5.1 DTS bitstream.
I would assume it is reading the digital audio from the DVD and passing it thru to the AV receiver. Were you asking if it took a 2-channel source and made it into a DTS/DD format for my receiver?

Last edited by XXVANN; July 28, 2008 at 06:58 AM.
Old July 28, 2008, 08:06 AM
Allstar

Just to note though, in analog the Prelude spanks the titanium.
Old July 31, 2008, 05:22 AM
Rookie

Prelude analog quality is it better than Xonar?
It "might" be as good as Xonar DX, but Xonar D2/D2X? I doubt...
Old August 1, 2008, 06:32 PM
Allstar

@Cevan, which card did you decide on, your other post said the Prelude form all the suggestions. Did you buy it or decide on another card?
Old August 2, 2008, 10:24 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
That's a great deal. You will enjoy that card especially for that nice price. Enjoy.
I picked up the Prelude when the unanimous decision was made . I'm using this card with the Swans M10 and the sound quality is amazing. If anyone has not noticed, The Audio Insider is actually selling the Swans M10 for $82.00 if anyone is interested in picking up these speakers. Shipping is decently priced and they came in three days. Not bad considering these speakers were shipped from Nevada.
Old August 3, 2008, 09:44 AM
Allstar

The Swans are said to sound very good. I haven't tried them myself. Will have to get around to testing them...