Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 19, 2008, 12:29 PM
Allstar

Well Super grover I just recieved my new Turtle Beach ear force HPA2's 5.1 headset with 8 speakers when I fire them up in Cod4 I'll let you know if they are better than my zalman 5.1's. I really like my zalman's but they don't have a boom mic just a clip on. The mic does work well...very sensitive. They are around 4 years old and have gotten lots of use and even some unintended abuse. Positional sound is very good once you get used to it you can tell where sounds are coming from so if you are using them for gaming go 5.1 I would stay away from the usb versions though as they override your soundcard and have been known to screw up settings. Soon as I get a few hours on these I'll let you know if thwey are better. One bonus with the Turtle Beach ones is they come with an amplifier and a splitter so if you have anolog speakers you can have both plugged in at same time.
Silverstone Strider 1kw modular
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd
Old June 19, 2008, 05:26 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
I hear mixed reviews on the Razers, though I do have the AC-1 soundcard

Anyone tried the Sennhieser pc-350? Abit pricy though.
Yes, I have tried them and they are a decent can for gaming. They have frequency response shaping meant for gaming etc, according to the specs. I used them for about 2 weeks and they were cool enough. They have a steep price tag though.
Now I am using the HD595's and they are well a class ahead of the 350's. What about Grados? I heard the SR60 or SR 80's would be in your range and are said to have great sound quality for the price.
Old June 19, 2008, 05:40 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
Yes, I have tried them and they are a decent can for gaming. They have frequency response shaping meant for gaming etc, according to the specs. I used them for about 2 weeks and they were cool enough. They have a steep price tag though.
Now I am using the HD595's and they are well a class ahead of the 350's. What about Grados? I heard the SR60 or SR 80's would be in your range and are said to have great sound quality for the price.

I have the SR80's and they're just incredible for music. They're very very good for low volume listening, every sound and note can be heard at all volume levels. This is also why they're good for gaming, as you can easily hear footsteps and such. A downside to the Grados is that they're an open headphone, so sound leaks very easily, so if you're listening at high volume, people will hear you. For the same reason they're not very good for listening in noisy environments, but since you're looking for gaming head(set)(phones) thats not an issue. Despite the Grados being amazing, I still use the Razer HP-1 headset (with the Razer card). While the quality is definitely not as good as the Grados, this difference is mostly noticeable when listening to music and not gaming. Plus the built in mic is handy. The HP-1s are fairly comfortable (if your ears are relatively small) and the mic quality is good.

If you do decide to look at the Grados, I would definitely recommend going with the SR80s over the SR60s. I listened to both, and SR80s have far superior bass response (<3 bass). Also, I don't know how the prices are where you are, but (at least in edmonton), the SR80s go for like 60 dollars more than what you can get them for in the US, online.

PS. A cheaper alternative to Seinn 350s would be HD555, which are also quite good, with a separate mic. To be honest, I do not think 5.1 headphones make that much of a difference. May be this is because I run Vista, and some games don't support real 5.1, notably Source games.
Old June 19, 2008, 05:51 PM
Allstar

True, the HD555 are in the budget. I don't think you really need 5.1 cans with a good gaming card as you have 5.1 virtualization such as CMSS3D and Dolby Headphone. Something to consider.
Old June 19, 2008, 05:56 PM
Allstar

I bought a set of Zalman 5.1 surrounds & love them! Amazing sound quality with a good affordable price. I use mine only for Gaming & voip/vent as well.
Old June 19, 2008, 06:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Okay thanks for the responses,

@ EE: Will use them for Gaming and vent

@DK2: Were you planning on picking up the razer's anytime soon? Only reason I am asking is I would like to see how they do next to the turtle's.

@ matsta31: I have a dog that eats anything you leave laying around, he doesn't chew furniture or anything like that, he waits until you set something down then strikes...... Like my prescription glasses, 6 bills down the drain. Just a random tid-bit of info that your story brought to mind.

@ cdn madrach: Would love to know how they perform in COD over the zallys

@ Robscix: Those HD595's look sick! Unfortunately over budget and no boom mic. Same with the Grado's no mic, sure i could use a clip-on style but I would prefer a boom mic.
The pc-350 are what I have my eye on now, or today I should say :). How was the comfort level after a few hours? Did you use them in game? Is the boom mic flexible? And finally how would they compare to the HD555, I have used those for a short time and they were amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old June 19, 2008, 10:13 PM
MVP

I was going to make a post about the very same question. Right now I'm using Logitech ClearChat Pro USB headphones and too be honest they are not that great. Volume even at max is kinda low for me and there is hardly any base :( I don't know much about headsets and what sold was the fact that it is USB and that I didn't have to connect them to the back of my pc.

From what cdn_Madrach said, I guess USB headsets are no good if they override the soundcard. So do the USB headsets just go through the onboard soundcard instead of getting the sound from the soundcard? Should I stay away from USB headsets?

I have a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card and was wondering what a good headset with mic would be for that? Something with great sound and base.
Old June 20, 2008, 06:43 AM
Allstar
F@H

@Supergrover
No, not anytime soon unless I see a really good sale on them, my new build is a slow boat, Iím shooting for the late summer, early fall.
The turtle Iím using with integrated audio, so with this new build I was going to try and get a dedicated sound card. Razer seemed the best alterative to Creative.
Its nothing against the turtle though, did I mention I just love my 5.1 headphones!
Old June 20, 2008, 10:41 AM
Allstar

@SuperGrover, Check your PM's.
Old June 20, 2008, 03:17 PM
Allstar

@Supergrover...gonna hook both sets up Sat night and play some cod4. So far I'm very impressed with the TB Hpa2's. The boom mic works great with vent. Much more convenient than the Zalman clip on mic. Zalman ear piece is softer and fits over my ear where the TB are firmer but fit nicely and are lighter than the zalmans. Big plus for the zalman's is that they can be had for a little over $40 where as I price matched the TB's at $75. Gotta get at least 2 solid straight hours of cod4 in before I can say which set is better lol. Being able to adjust not just the master volume but the front/ rear/surround(sub) independently is great.
Silverstone Strider 1kw modular
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd