Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 10, 2008, 09:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Audio Device Management - Vista

Vista drives me nuts with this one little thing! Long story short: I want video game audio to come out of my speakers while ventrilo comes out of my headset. currently the only way to do this is to load the game, alt-tab and then plug in my USB headset and then load ventrilo.

Long story if you need more of an explanation: Ben.geek.nz Vista Audio Device Management: Sucky?

Anyone know of a work-around or software suite that handles this?
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old June 10, 2008, 11:12 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Umm... your problem does not seem to me to be the same as the one described in the article you linked to (although it is mentioned in a comment). It seems to me the fault lies with Ventrilo for not providing you with a better option to specify which output it should put out to.

For better or worse Microsoft has completely redesigned the audio stuff in Vista. This is causing a lot of problems as vendors are stuck with playing catchup. As bad as that might be the developers need to implement the new MMDEVAPI to deal with these features (that is what it was designed for Larry Osterman's WebLog : New Audio APIs for Vista).

Ventrilo is so behind the times that they do not even officially support Vista. This is probably because they are too busy nattering on about their copyright.
Old June 10, 2008, 03:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The two problems above are similar and derive from the same issue in Vista. I -can- get Ventrilo to work properly but selecting which device it uses for playback; either my speakers or headset. The problem is the software/games that won't allow me to choose audio playback device so I thought maybe a software would allow for profiles to do it.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old June 10, 2008, 11:03 PM
MVP
F@H

I agree vista's audio management drives me nuts. Why can't it output to more than one place at a time? Would be nice to be able to right-click on a shortcut and tell it what audio in/out to use, and have it use those settings every time.
VIDEO: 3 x Visiontek HD3870
Old June 10, 2008, 11:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yep! That's all I want.

I have deep connections at logitech, I'm actually bothering my good friends there to try and convince them to look into making a software suite for this haahahahah I DOUUUBT it'll ever happen but it's fun to joke about over drinks!
Old June 11, 2008, 08:07 AM
MVP
F@H

The problem is all vista, I dont think anyone can fix it but MS.

If you select one sound card, start a game, then alt-tab out, you can switch sound cards but the game keeps using the original one. This way, you can have 2 simultaneous sound outputs.... so we know the hardware can do it, and the software can do it, its just programmed to try to not let you.

Another solution is to have every program be able to select its own sound card, like many sound-specific apps do. Too bad not even windows media player allows selecting a sound card. fail.
Old June 11, 2008, 08:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah it's terrible. It's probably my biggest complaint about Vista since I havn't seen any of the other problems people have claimed. Oh well!
Old June 11, 2008, 08:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I fixed it! I fixed it!I fixed it!I fixed it!I fixed it!

Hhommmg!

Long story short. Plug your usb headset in. Windows defaults to it as main audio device. Set your speakers to default. Close that. Then go into ventrilo and under each tab select your usb headphones as your device for every option. BOOM. Games come out speakers, vent comes out headset - no matter which order you open them!
Old June 11, 2008, 08:56 PM
MVP
F@H

thats cool for vent but still doesnt fix Vista.
Old June 11, 2008, 09:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

haha yep! oh well