Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 1, 2018, 08:14 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Wireless Headphones / headsets

I need to go wireless (my pet parrot has taken to eating the wires - I have fixed them but that is a pain)

I do have a bluetooth / wifi card in my new Ryzen build. the card is a Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I and has Bluetooth 4.0 LE. and seems to work with my Fluid soundbar, not so well with my cheap Tzunami headphones.

I find that many headphones (or headsets?) are USB dongle bases and not bluetooth.

I want good sound (but don't need the audiophiles top grade - my ears are 64 years old. My preferred music is celtic - as in bagpipes and other folk music, or classical.

I also play sim games, flight simulators, rail simulators, race cars, and a few simple games, like Pinball. Not into killing games.

build quality matters to me.

RGB - meh? whatever
but must still function while charging. I don't like the idea that phones are dead when charging.

size doesn't really matter, intended to be used only at my PC . I have some simple wired ones for my laptop I used when away - but seldom does my parrot travel with me so wires are safe on the road. Then size matters and a simple set works.

I seldom need a mic, and do have a usb mic I can plug in if needed, but if comes with mic, that's ok, but not mission critical.

so

bluetooth vs usb dongle.

and which one.

some I'm looking at
Logitech G933 (strong recommendation from a user I know), or simpler G533
Pioneer SE-MS7BT-K
Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT Bluetooth or .... many others

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old May 2, 2018, 07:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

the USB dongles will just be included for adding Bluetooth to a desktop, as they don't usually come with WiFi/Bluetooth support out of box.

I have the Sennheiser's, they're good, sound quite nice (bass is punchy) but didn't try them on a call or anything, so not sure how the mic functions. these are for listening to music though, so the mic may be okay, but it's not focused for gaming. that's where the Logitech's come in, those are for gaming. see if you can go to a store and try them on for size/comfort. :)
Old May 2, 2018, 08:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

In case that was a question to be clarified: Headsets = headphone + integrated mic; Headphone = just the stuff on the ears without the voice ;)

I believe it wasn't that long ago that HWC did a wireless comparison video on YouTube of several brands. I can't link it at the moment but search the HWC channel, should be fairly recent, within the past couple of months iirc.

Good video to start with for recommendations I would think.
i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz (Swiftech H240-X) | ASUS Z97-Pro WiFi | 32GB Patriot Viper 1600MHz | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix | EX920 512GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB, HDD 500GB (x2) | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Corsair 650D | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro
Old May 2, 2018, 10:22 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Here's Dmitry's Youtube review of a bunch of wireless gaming headsets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBQQa65X6F0
Old May 2, 2018, 11:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For more than 2 years now I use Bluedio Turbine T2S, very happy, https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...1283-_-Product
Old May 2, 2018, 01:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
For more than 2 years now I use Bluedio Turbine T2S, very happy, https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...1283-_-Product
I have a pair of those Turbines in Black, I use them with my tablet and laptop. They work well, but the maximum volume is not very loud.
Old May 2, 2018, 02:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have a pair of Plantronics Backbeat Pro+. I like them very much!

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old May 2, 2018, 03:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have a pair of Backbeat Pro + for sale on my listing... just saying. They're like new, sound good, have noise cancellation and last for ages on a charge. (20+ hours easy) Although they aren't specifically made for gaming.
Old May 3, 2018, 08:55 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default bought the Backbeat Pro2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inik View Post
I have a pair of Plantronics Backbeat Pro+. I like them very much!
picked up a pair of these 'Backbeat Pro 2' - just two days use and no regrets, Bestbuy had them on at $90 off.

impressed i am

looking at the youtubes etc I decided on Bluetooth as my laptop and desktop both have blueteeth.
and it will pair with my phone (actually simultaneously so I can answer calls while listening) so more use than just on pc / laptop.

Was also sold on the adjustable noise cancelling. Was concerned that shutting out all ambient noise may not be desirable - and my dearly beloved would not be amused she can't call me. (I told her it I have noise cancel on - just phone me)

as for integrated mics - these do have omni-directional mics which will be good enough as I rarely use them, and I do have a dedicated mic I can use if someday I want premium mic sound output. from what I could see (hear) the mics on many gaming headsets leave a bit to be desired.

but, had to sacrifice the flashing RGB lights - oh the sacrifices one has to make

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig

Tags
headphone , headset , wireless