Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 1, 2017, 11:47 PM
Top Prospect

Default Hassle Free, Fully EAX Compatible, USB Sound Card?

I play a wide variety of games ranging from the mid 90's to modern day, and I'm in the market for a solution that allows me to easily check those fancy "EAX" boxes in older games while ideally also having control over the amount of reverb via a simple slider. Basically I want either a Soundblaster product or something that is functionally identical to a Soundblaster product, with full Win 10 support and full support for EAX 1-5. I am also stuck with a mini-itx board and only one pci/pcie slot, currently occupied by a videocard, so usb is the only option. What do I want? Will something like the Soundblaster Play cut the mustard or should I go a bit higher up the totem pole for full functionality? I'm not concerned with sound quality, so long as it doesn't sound noticeably worse than the Realtek onboard, I just want convenient EAX functionality without having to install and configure a bunch of time consuming Openal hacks for lackluster end results. Might also be good to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and get something that properly supports toslink surround out to my receiver, as Realtek appears to have killed it off in the Win10 driver.
Old December 2, 2017, 07:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

HOONTECH - www.hoontech.de
Old December 2, 2017, 09:29 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
Hmm, I don't see any indication of USB there? As an example, here is a Newegg link with everything I'm looking for already preset, a budget of $100 or less (no reason to spend more if the functionality is there), and only Asus and Creative USB boards selected: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...eRange=0%20100

I'd like to know a little more about the Eax implementation on Asus and Creative boards, as well as the compatibility with Windows 10. From what I've read, Eax was/is proprietary to Creative, but starting in Windows 7 Alchemy is required to emulate Eax in software, even on Creative boards. Asus on the other hand seems to also be emulating Eax, but it appears to be a more user friendly implementation. Of course Creative developed Eax, whereas Asus is taking a reverse engineering approach, so the end result may not be as complex or accurate as Creative's software implementation.

It sounds like the only way to get proper hardware accelerated Eax would be to install Windows Xp and install a creative sound card, maybe a neat project in the future, but I'd like something more Plug n Play compatible with Windows 10 for now. I'd just like to avoid any finicky software like Openal, Alchemy, etc, be able to "enable" Eax in game, and have something reasonably close to Eax 1-5 with adjustable reverb intensity, sounds like Asus Xonar might be the way to go for that?

Last edited by mikjames; December 2, 2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old December 2, 2017, 04:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

half awake that was for using fiber-optic on creative sb-live

i know the USB headset with Dolby works fine on the Plantronics RIG 500 for older games has the echo effect an i hear it in caves, small room etc.

EAX is riding on Doiby architecture

none of those linked has TOSI connection only see RCA or 1/8 pin

also note for usage of Dolby on creative

with Realtek and Asus MB with optical output works fine on home theater amp, hear same echo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia.org
The Environmental Audio Extensions (or EAX) are a number of digital signal processing presets for audio, present in Creative Technology's later Sound Blaster sound cards and the Creative NOMAD/Creative ZEN product lines. EAX displaced the alternative A3D (Aureal 3-Dimensional) in 2001. As of 2010, EAX is rarely used, with modern games utilizing the CPU to process 3D audio rather than relying on dedicated hardware

Last edited by KaptCrunch; December 2, 2017 at 04:40 PM.