Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 31, 2008, 11:43 AM
Allstar

Default Opamps and Snd Card Modifications thread

Hey members, With the release of newer cards and peoples search for better sound, the idea of modding soundcards and/or installing better quality opamps has become quite popular with the masses.
I started this thread to try and keep any information related to the subject in one location for ease of searching.
So, lets hear what you mad scientists have been up to?
Old June 4, 2008, 12:17 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Hey Rob :)

I have done multiple Xtreme Music LM4562 opamp upgrades with BG cap replacements and have done one livebay upgrade that somehow went sideways. I replaced the opamps on the headphone and RCA input and lost RCA functionality and I am still trying to figure out what went wrong on that one. I will get to the bottom of it tho.

I have also done opamp replacements on my Xonar D2X (center/sub, and rear surround) but was harder than I anticipated as it is difficult to remove the stock opamps as they are surrounded by caps.

My prelude is virgin as I am pretty happy with it in stock condidtion, and it will most likely see digital duty when I get my home theater in full swing when I get my new house later this year.

All-in-all I find these mods very fun to do and have great results if you use due diligence and the correct tools.

Old June 4, 2008, 12:54 PM
Allstar

Yes, some don't realize the potential their existing "older" soundcards actually have if they take the time to change out a few parts. Some newer higher grade opamps and some better filtering capacitors can make all the difference.
I have modded quite a few cards and other devices. (Amplifiers,DACs.etc) for friends and myself. Most of my current PC audio gear is in pristine condition but it will all be modded very soon.
Modding audio cards has definitely become more mainstream as of late. At least now most look for cards with better output sections and easier modding potential. I think replaceable opamps will eventually become a mainstay on newer soundcards. -Lets hope anyway.
Old June 16, 2008, 12:52 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Will be adding allot to this thread, but had a loss in the family.

Hope to have a good start in a couple weeks.