Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 12, 2008, 12:16 PM
Rookie

Okay, the hack it is then. Is electrical tape okay? i.e. if I cut and strip the wires, twist them together and wrap electrical tape around them, would that work? It won't be pretty, but I don't really care as long as the sound card functions, I'll be happy. Someone mentioned old speaker wire - I have some lying around so I think I'd be good to go.

Once again, you guys are super helpful. Thanks!

Last edited by scrawledinwax; May 12, 2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old May 12, 2008, 12:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd go with crimps for a more permament solution, but electrical tape would do in a pinch. If you do go with just electrical tape, stagger the lengths of your splices so that they don't line up beside each other. This will remove the chance of an accidental short if the bare wire becomes exposed.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 12, 2008, 12:57 PM
Rookie

That's awesome! Thanks for the solid advice. I'll let you know how it goes - fingers crossed my next message doesn't start with "so, um, what do you do when your PC just caught fire?" ;)

Thanks again :)

-Nav
Old May 12, 2008, 03:06 PM
Rookie

Default Success!

It worked! I mean, I guess there's no reason it shouldn't have, but I think I'm impressed with myself for not messing something up! I just used some old speaker wire and electrical tape and out came the sound. Thanks so much folks!

The card itself... verdict remains to be handed down. The drivers seem a little wonky (you have to set Windows to 16-bit sound for any of the DSP/EQ features to work). But even without fiddling around, it's clearly better than the onboard audio.

Again, thanks for all your help. I don't think there's anything I can do in return really - unless you're students and need essays edited. K, that's stupid, but I'm just appreciative. Cheers.

-Nav
Old May 12, 2008, 03:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Good to hear that you're up and running. We're here to help, and you never know... somebody might be looking for the answer to exactly the same question and find it in here. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 12, 2008, 08:00 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Seriously good to hear!!! Congrats on what some would think of as a pretty major step into the world of modding!!
Old May 13, 2008, 04:12 AM
Allstar

Yes, glad you got the card up and running. Enjoy your DX. Your probably thinking "See that wasn't so hard." -Now the modding bug has you. No turning back now.
Old May 13, 2008, 09:22 AM
Rookie

Thanks guys :) Yeah, I think I was a little impressed with myself - not because it was such a momentous task but, simply, because it was a new thing for me. I've built a couple of systems before but that basically involved tightening some screws and installing Windows. This seemed more 'hardcore' ;) But there's no way I would have tried it without the advice of some obviously knowledgeable people.

More thoughts on the card:
- Bass is tight and deep. It's impressive and notably better than the onboard audio.
- I'm not sure if it's because I haven't gotten things dialled in yet, but the treble seems to be a bit harsh. I'll have to fiddle and see if it's just my so-so speakers.
- Front-panel audio support is great but because the card doesn't support Vista's jack-sensing, it doesn't do it automatically when you plug headphones in. You have to switch it through the drivers every time. Not sure if this can be fixed in a driver update.
- Related: I'm not sure on the quality of the cable that links the card to the front-panel - so far my Grado headphones don't sound as good as when they're plugged directly into my Audigy 2 PCMCIA.
- Drivers do increase boot-up time on Vista a little. To be expected I suppose and it's not too bad.
- I'm not an avid gamer and I only have a 2.1 setup, but so far the older stuff - Warcraft III, Far Cry - work fine.

Cheers.

-Nav