Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3, 2008, 02:48 PM
Rookie

Question Onboard Audio versus Soundcard

Hi guys i am making this tread because i feel some confusion.

I have read many topics about onboard sound versus a good soundcard and i would to know, currently the motherboard that i have is a MSI Diamond P7N and the sound that i get is really good whit my games does it mean that i still need a sound card for the job.

I was planning to get the Asus Xonar DX soundcard.

thanks
Old May 3, 2008, 02:54 PM
Allstar

The sound that you get from your onboard would be very limited with games when considering in games audio effects. Your onboard would most likely have EAX 1,2 support but no more. If you purchase a card such as a X-fi Prelude for example will have EAX 1,2,3,4,5 and OpenAL all processed on the soundcard. It is easy to think there won't be that big of a difference between onboard and add-in card but trust me there is a very large difference and once you move to a add-in card you will never look back. The Xonar DX sounds great in games also from what I have tested... Hardware EAX sounds different though, more refined and realistic although the GX 2.0 drivers available for the Xonar series provides very decent sound when comparing a card without them such as a Onboard. Hope this helps, if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
Old May 3, 2008, 03:36 PM
Rookie

Very interesing Robscix i chose the Asus card beacuse of the drivers that work very well whit vista ( not like Creative).
Old May 3, 2008, 03:51 PM
Allstar

The drivers for the Auzen Prelude work fine with Vista.. Both are great cards for games but the Prelude is the best...
Old May 3, 2008, 03:58 PM
Rookie

Tell me Robscix whish souncard you would choose between these two the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 or the Asus Xonar DX 7.1 (both are PCI-Express)considering that i am running Window Vista Ultimate 64bits.

thanks for advice buddy.
Old May 3, 2008, 04:57 PM
Rookie

Hi
I bet you all read about the guy who adapted the auzentech drivers so the creative cards could use the "non-crippled" in XP.
> Goes "on topic" mode >

For sound capture, I prefer a decent card over onboard.
I recently bought me a simple server mobo, so I could plug in my own choice. (Let's call that daft..)
The thing is, I don't need 7.1 for capture. My old trusted PCI card is quite effective at doing what I want to do.
Old May 4, 2008, 08:13 PM
Allstar

@Mazabe, Vista 64 cause trouble with many cards and drivers. Both cards are said to be rather solid with Vista X64 according to the info and posts I have read and from personal Test with Vista X32.
Old May 4, 2008, 11:00 PM
Allstar

Onboard is fairly decent and I have difficulty telling the difference on a set of "mainstream" (see cheap, <$100) speakers. If you're on a budget, I'd say there's more important things to invest in than a soundcard (unless, of course, you're an audio professional or audio enthusiast).

If you have a set of good speakers or analog headphones, it's definitely worth putting money into a good sound card, budget allowing.
Old May 5, 2008, 01:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Onboard is fairly decent and I have difficulty telling the difference on a set of "mainstream" (see cheap, <$100) speakers. If you're on a budget, I'd say there's more important things to invest in than a soundcard (unless, of course, you're an audio professional or audio enthusiast).

If you have a set of good speakers or analog headphones, it's definitely worth putting money into a good sound card, budget allowing.
You mean < $50 for speakers.

Theres a lot of speakers out there around the $100 mark or so that can EASILY benefit from having a great sound card.
Old May 5, 2008, 06:15 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
You mean < $50 for speakers.

Theres a lot of speakers out there around the $100 mark or so that can EASILY benefit from having a great sound card.
I completely agree that there are many speakers around the $100 price point that can benefit from a sound card (thus why I said less than $100). However, when you drop below that price point, say into the $80 range, and you're on a limited budget, you're better off spending more money on the speakers than on a sound card.

Just my opinion.