Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 28, 2013, 02:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Legit DRM free Canadian MP3 purchases?

Is there any such thing as a legit DRM free audio file purchase in Canada?

I typically buy the physical media, but my better half is interested in purchasing individual tracks as opposed to whole albums. iTunes is out (unless there's a way to get my purchased tunes separated from anything apple related), and a quick look at the stores windows media player suggests only offer streaming media options... is there really nothing out there that will allow me to purchase tracks?

edit:

Has anybody used HMV's "The Vault"? ( Home The Vault...powered by hmv )

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; November 28, 2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old November 28, 2013, 03:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd hesitate to get involved with anything HMV related as they're on their last legs. Although, that being said, once you have the MP3's you're after, you should be fine. It's just a matter of proving purchase if/when they go down.

As much as it kills me to say it, iTunes may be your best option. DRM has been removed from most audio purchases (to the best of my knowledge). You just have to ensure that your chosen format for download is MP3, and you can then transfer those files to be use on any device. (Obviously you'll need to drag and drop, or use another syncing method other than iTunes if you're a non Apple user.)
The catch to this is that Apple is still migrating some of their content over to DRM-free copies. They claim this is because the digital content for some tracks haven't been provided to Apple in the new format. But that rings off to me as my understanding is that Apple is the one responsible for DRM, not the music label? Either way, it's worth looking in to.
Old November 28, 2013, 04:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
I'd hesitate to get involved with anything HMV related as they're on their last legs. Although, that being said, once you have the MP3's you're after, you should be fine. It's just a matter of proving purchase if/when they go down.

As much as it kills me to say it, iTunes may be your best option. DRM has been removed from most audio purchases (to the best of my knowledge). You just have to ensure that your chosen format for download is MP3, and you can then transfer those files to be use on any device. (Obviously you'll need to drag and drop, or use another syncing method other than iTunes if you're a non Apple user.)
The catch to this is that Apple is still migrating some of their content over to DRM-free copies. They claim this is because the digital content for some tracks haven't been provided to Apple in the new format. But that rings off to me as my understanding is that Apple is the one responsible for DRM, not the music label? Either way, it's worth looking in to.

Yeah I'd be a bit concerned if I were planning on making use of the streaming media service, but once I've DL'd the file I've got it stored in 4 or 5 different locations so I'm not overly concerned about hmv disappearing and then losing access to it. :)

I'll have another look at iTunes, but the last time I tried it I absolutely hated the walls it put around how I wanted to use my media, and IIRC the bloody thing installed quick time at the same time which is an absolute non starter for me. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 28, 2013, 04:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree that iTunes is a PITA. It just happens to have the largest selection with the least legal concerns surrounding ownership. But I hate feeding the beast.

I've just had a coworker point out Caprice and tell me he's been buying from them for the past 6 months or so without issue. I've never used them before, but the site looks legit. I'm just not sure how they are able to provide primarily 320 files for such $0.12 per track? If it's legit though, this may be were I start buying from.
Old November 28, 2013, 05:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
I agree that iTunes is a PITA. It just happens to have the largest selection with the least legal concerns surrounding ownership. But I hate feeding the beast.

I've just had a coworker point out Caprice and tell me he's been buying from them for the past 6 months or so without issue. I've never used them before, but the site looks legit. I'm just not sure how they are able to provide primarily 320 files for such $0.12 per track? If it's legit though, this may be were I start buying from.
I'll have a look at them, but I get hives even thinking about using my credit card to purchase from a website with questionable legality...

That said... I broke down over the summer and downloaded a specific album from a questionable site in the UK, but in my defense I'd been looking for that album ever since the Napster music service went belly up and finally got tired of indigo suggesting that they might be able to convince the distributer to re-issue it so I DL'd it from a European source.

Quote:
Downloading music files from our Site, Customer takes liability for its further use. This responsibility depends on national legislation of the country where the Customer resides.
That's a snippet from the legal statement on the Caprice website. I highly doubt a Cyprus copyright license would be considered legitimate for a Canadian purchase.

Last edited by sswilson; November 28, 2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old November 29, 2013, 04:37 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yes.

You can buy DRM free tracks from the artists themselves. It is becoming more and more popular to sell tracks online straight from the artist.

You won't see any artist on a huge mega-evil label do this as their overlords will have nothing to do with drm free!

And as a bonus, this is the only place i've found 24 bit recordings.