Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old November 4, 2013, 10:11 PM
Rockfella's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 77

My System Specs

Exclamation Asus Xonar DX playing DTS?

Hi,
I have Asus Xonar DX sound card and was wondering how would it play movies with DTS audio?
Have not tweaked softwares like VLC to get 5.1 surround on speakers.
ANy help/info would be helpful.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old November 4, 2013, 10:31 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfella View Post
Hi,
I have Asus Xonar DX sound card and was wondering how would it play movies with DTS audio?
Have not tweaked softwares like VLC to get 5.1 surround on speakers.
ANy help/info would be helpful.
Thanks.
This is a lot more than just VLC playing audio. Is the Xonar DX setup properly? Does it show the supported formats in the Sound option under Control Panel?

What are you outputting the soundcard to? Does the receiving end decode DTS?
Are you a using HDMI cable?

Need info man.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old November 5, 2013, 02:17 AM
Rockfella's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 77

My System Specs

Default

Thanks for replying man. I just ordered these, will be getting them in about 3 hours:

5.1 Multimedia Home Theater Speaker - DA5000 Pro | Edifier

These are fully analogue. I will connect DX to these using RCA cables and will use XBMC, 5.1 analogue in settings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
This is a lot more than just VLC playing audio. Is the Xonar DX setup properly? Does it show the supported formats in the Sound option under Control Panel?

What are you outputting the soundcard to? Does the receiving end decode DTS?
Are you a using HDMI cable?

Need info man.

Last edited by Rockfella; November 5, 2013 at 02:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old November 5, 2013, 06:19 AM
b1lk1's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lindsay, Ontario
Posts: 2,531

My System Specs

Default

No DTS capabilities on the DX soundcard, you'll be limited to Dolby Digital Live.
__________________
MY HEATWARE
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old November 5, 2013, 07:46 AM
Rockfella's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 77

My System Specs

Default

I'll be playing movies from a PC, any workaround? if not then it sucks, will have a get a friggin D2X!
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
No DTS capabilities on the DX soundcard, you'll be limited to Dolby Digital Live.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old November 5, 2013, 07:13 PM
b1lk1's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lindsay, Ontario
Posts: 2,531

My System Specs

Default

The DX has no analog DTS functionality. You would need to use the SPDIF pass through to a speaker system that can decode DTS.
__________________
MY HEATWARE
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old November 6, 2013, 08:06 PM
Rockfella's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 77

My System Specs

Default

This Dolby 5.1 test file plays fine now, thanks to ffdshow audio decoder. I was not getting positional surround untill I installed this codec or some shit.



Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
The DX has no analog DTS functionality. You would need to use the SPDIF pass through to a speaker system that can decode DTS.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old May 8, 2014, 01:34 AM
Rockfella's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 77

My System Specs

Default

Using XBMC "Gotham". Does everything I want, even mounts Blu Ray ISOs instantly! Loving it, works great with remote.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[FS] Asus Xonar U3 Flemminr Buy/Sell & Trade 1 November 3, 2013 03:26 PM
ASUS Crosshair IV Onboard Upgrade To ASUS Xonar DGX? MATLYS Audio 2 November 6, 2012 11:27 AM
ASUS Xonar DS, DG or D1? lkramer Audio 11 August 28, 2012 10:05 AM
Anyone Try the Xonar DGX from Asus Soullessone21 Audio 3 May 16, 2012 05:44 PM
[FS] Asus EAH HD4850 and Asus Xonar DX Cypher^64 Buy/Sell & Trade 12 February 25, 2009 10:14 AM