Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 18, 2013, 04:02 PM
Rookie

Default Optimal configuration options help wanted (Asus Xonar DX | Logitech G51)

Hello,

I'm a music enthusiasm but I don't know much in the technical side.

Here's my setup : Asus P7P800 Pro motherboard | Asus Xonar DX | Logitech G51 sound system. I use the computer as much for listening to music, movies and playing games.

I just upgraded from motherboard sound to a Xonar DX, I though why not, let's try it! After hours fiddling with the power connector (seems to be a common problem) I finally get good sound and can enter in the Xonar Audio Center application.

-Are those speakers good enough to gain full advantage of the sound card?
-What should I choose as the Audio Channel? The manual say to select the one matching the audio source, but ain't it a bit annoying to switch it every time I go from playing mp3 to playing a game? In any case, I don't see any audible difference. I guess I should let it to 6 channels (for 5.1 speakers)?
-Same thing for the sample rate. Do I really need to go and switch to a different rate depending on which mp3 I'm listening to? Can I let it at the higher setting (? Why is the default value not it?
-Most importantly: Analog Out. I get that I should select 5.1 to get surround sound in games and movies, but selecting it output the stereo mp3 music to surround speakers and it just don't feel right. Is it the usual configuration or am I right saying that surround speakers should not be used in the case of stereo music?
-7.1 Virtual Speaker / Dolby Virtual Speaker : When should I enable those?
-My speaker kit offers a "matrix" button that seems to do a similar effect as selecting 5.1 in the analog out option. I always let it off for the same reason as mentioned above. I guess with that sound card I should never use it?

With my onboard sound it seemed as if it detected if the source was stereo or surround to enable or disable the surround speakers depending on what I was doing automatically, but with the Xonar Audio Center it seems I have to manually switch the analog output option. Why? Thanks
Old July 18, 2013, 04:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunge View Post
Hello,

I'm a music enthusiasm but I don't know much in the technical side.

Here's my setup : Asus P7P800 Pro motherboard | Asus Xonar DX | Logitech G51 sound system. I use the computer as much for listening to music, movies and playing games.

I just upgraded from motherboard sound to a Xonar DX, I though why not, let's try it! After hours fiddling with the power connector (seems to be a common problem) I finally get good sound and can enter in the Xonar Audio Center application.

1. -Are those speakers good enough to gain full advantage of the sound card?
2. -What should I choose as the Audio Channel? The manual say to select the one matching the audio source, but ain't it a bit annoying to switch it every time I go from playing mp3 to playing a game? In any case, I don't see any audible difference. I guess I should let it to 6 channels (for 5.1 speakers)?
3. -Same thing for the sample rate. Do I really need to go and switch to a different rate depending on which mp3 I'm listening to? Can I let it at the higher setting (? Why is the default value not it?
4. -Most importantly: Analog Out. I get that I should select 5.1 to get surround sound in games and movies, but selecting it output the stereo mp3 music to surround speakers and it just don't feel right. Is it the usual configuration or am I right saying that surround speakers should not be used in the case of stereo music?
5. -7.1 Virtual Speaker / Dolby Virtual Speaker : When should I enable those?
6.-My speaker kit offers a "matrix" button that seems to do a similar effect as selecting 5.1 in the analog out option. I always let it off for the same reason as mentioned above. I guess with that sound card I should never use it?

7. With my onboard sound it seemed as if it detected if the source was stereo or surround to enable or disable the surround speakers depending on what I was doing automatically, but with the Xonar Audio Center it seems I have to manually switch the analog output option. Why? Thanks
I've numbered your questions and I'll try to answer them to the best of my understanding, I don't have a xonar DX but I think I am familiar enough with it to help you out!

1. No, you'll get into pretty high end speakers before the sound card will start being the bottleneck, the xonar DX has a pretty decent DAC. The sound card will definitely improve sound over onboard, however, even with those speakers.

2. Set it to 6 channel.

3. Leave it as is, should be 44100Hz or 48000Hz, your source will never be higher than that.

4. I don't really understand what you mean here, but your sound card should output stereo if that's the source? Does it create a faux 5.1 and play stereo music throughout all channels? I likely sounds better as stereo, but set it to your preference.

5. This is likely for digital out which you won't be using since the G51 is analog. Shouldn't really own a soundcard if you're using digital out anyways.

6. Turn that crap off use the sound card's processing for best results.

7. Can't really answer that sorry.

Hope this helps a little bit.
Old July 18, 2013, 04:43 PM
Rookie

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Quote:
3. Leave it as is, should be 44100Hz or 48000Hz, your source will never be higher than that.
What would be the disadvantage of leaving it to 192KHz? I feel like it sounds better that way, but it might be just in my head :). Also, which one between 44 or 48? (mp3 are at 44, but I guess some movies/games might output higher).

Quote:
Does it create a faux 5.1 and play stereo music throughout all channels?
Yes, it does if I select 5.1 as the analog output. I don't want that for playing music, but I want to keep my surround for other usages, hence the constant switching problem I'm asking about.
Old July 18, 2013, 04:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunge View Post
Thanks a lot for the reply.

What would be the disadvantage of leaving it to 192KHz? I feel like it sounds better that way, but it might be just in my head :). Also, which one between 44 or 48? (mp3 are at 44, but I guess some movies/games might output higher).

Yes, it does if I select 5.1 as the analog output. I don't want that for playing music, but I want to keep my surround for other usages, hence the constant switching problem I'm asking about.
1. None really. I think DVD is 48, everything else should be 44.

2. I'm not sure what other option you have other than switching it for music/ games. I doubt there's application based settings in the ASUS panel.

Tags
asus xonar dx , logitech g51