Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 26, 2008, 06:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Xonar DX

I've been thinking about moving away from Creative, but I was wondering how this would fare with the X-Fi XtremeMusic? I have Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 speakers which use analog inputs.

Main concern is, does the DX upconvert stereo sources to 5.1 via Dolby Digital or something? On my X-Fi it's called CMSS-3D which takes my MP3s and what not and turns them into 5.1. If it does, how well does it work? I know most people like to listen to their stereo audio in stereo but I'd rather it be upmixed to 5.1.

I run Vista so EAX isn't a big concern to me. I haven't used Alchemy once, nor do I run old games that rely on EAX.

One more thing, any idea if this would work in the first PCIe on the Maximus Formula? Apparently its only for the SupremeFX, but I don't see why I couldn't use something else in it's slot...
Old April 27, 2008, 09:54 AM
Allstar

On the DX you can upmix music with Dolby Prolgic IIX. You can listen to MP3 in stereo or upmix them to 5.1 with Prologic IIX. It sounds good and has settings for fading from front to rear and front imaging width. I have no idea about that slot, just use a PCI-E slot. This card has great sound quality also for the price. If your considering buying one just make sure the company has a good return policy so if you don't like it, you can return it.
To note; The Dolby Digital Live output would Not upmix on it's own. DDL encodes whatever audio format is sent to it. If you want MP3 to be in 5.1 you would have to use Dolby Prologic IIx and then send out to Dolby Digital Live! Hope this Helps.

Last edited by Robscix; April 27, 2008 at 10:07 AM.