Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 31, 2013, 06:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Want a new 5.1 set

Got any suggestions on a good quality 5.1 speaker set? There used to be some with wireless rear speakers, but I can't find those anymore :(

The Edifier S550 looks potentially good.
Old June 2, 2013, 06:54 AM
Top Prospect

Looks great, but what's the Canadian Price? If it's like $600 then often times some home theatre in a box combos will sound better for the same money, and if they go on sale, the deal improves at a better rate as the mark ups on CE home audio is over 20%

Last edited by Bao; June 2, 2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old June 2, 2013, 07:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

They're $400
Old June 2, 2013, 10:13 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Did you notice this in the ncix sale. It should qualify for the $4.99 shipping

Onkyo AVX-290 660W 5.1 Channel Home Theater System THX Certified DOLBY/DTS

Old June 2, 2013, 11:06 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The only thing I've found annoying with using a HT system is that PC games don't support/output Dolby Digital sound like they would on consoles. That means it's up to your soundcard to encapsulate the analog 5.1 and make it into DD/DTS via DD Live or DTS Connect. Without this, I seem to only get 2.0 sound (using optical). [unless I'm doing something wildly wrong...]

Receivers also take up a lot more space too compared to PC audio solutions. But at the end of the day, it is more flexible and gives you far more upgrade potential if you need better sound.
Old June 2, 2013, 12:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

its because the sound card is using simulated channel's for extra tracks and only 2+1 channel are driven on chip

Quote:
Most of the time, manufacturers add the logo, it just means it SUPPORTS it (this is the trick), it does not mean it decodes it !.....:=)
All of us have been fooled at least once because we all assume that when you see the logo it both supports and decodes it.
This is usually the case for DVD-Blue Ray players and AV system , unfortunately, not for PC....yet...:=)

Last edited by KaptCrunch; June 2, 2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old June 2, 2013, 03:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm leaning towards a PC system over a HT system because it's more portable, easier to set up, etc. Also, I'm blatantly ignorant on using an HT system on a PC (other than the fact it can be done), so without some education on the matter, I won't be looking at HT systems. My plan is to use my motherboard audio to drive the speakers:

SupremeFX X-Fi 2 built-in 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
Audio Feature :
- X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity™
- EAX Advanced™ HD 5.0
- THX TruStudio PRO™
- Creative ALchemy
- Blu-ray audio layer Content Protection
- Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel
Old June 2, 2013, 07:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What's your budget? There are some exceptional boutique sets out there, but some of them reach up into the $1000 area.
Old June 2, 2013, 11:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Probably $400 range is max... I'd really like having wireless rear speakers (or more), but not sure if that's really on the table these days... I can't even find the couple sets that used to offer that but were out of my price range at the time.
Old June 3, 2013, 02:21 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
The only thing I've found annoying with using a HT system is that PC games don't support/output Dolby Digital sound like they would on consoles. That means it's up to your soundcard to encapsulate the analog 5.1 and make it into DD/DTS via DD Live or DTS Connect. Without this, I seem to only get 2.0 sound (using optical). [unless I'm doing something wildly wrong...]

Receivers also take up a lot more space too compared to PC audio solutions. But at the end of the day, it is more flexible and gives you far more upgrade potential if you need better sound.
I would think that real-time encoding to DD Live and DTS Connect would be common by now (my Auzentech X-fi card does).

But to keep things simple, try to just get an HT receiver with a 5.1 analogue in, and you don't have to have a soundcard take up more cpu cycles to do the real time encoding. Of course I believe 5.1 analogue ins for receivers is the first thing they chop off these days :(