Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 6, 2013, 04:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default GPU Audio vs Dedicated Card

Currently in my home theatre pc I am using a i5 750 cpu and running my audio and video through my GT 520 nvidia card. While this works good I am wondering if I am getting the best that I can.

I was thinking of investing in a i5 680 cpu with onboard gpu capabilities to feed the video through HDMI off the mother board to the receiver then invest in a good audio card to deal with audio specifically through optical cables.

I also understand that audio is being passed directly to my receiver a Onkyo TX-Sr606 to do the audio decoding.

Pros cons?
Old May 6, 2013, 04:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

No point. If your receiver is doing the decoding then there won't be any appreciable difference using HDMI through the GPU or motherboard, or using an optical connection from the motherboard. You'll just have a superfluous cable.
Old May 6, 2013, 04:34 PM

My System Specs

You have an SR606 and the HDMI actually still works? That is rare. Everyone I know w/ them (including me) has had the HDMI board die on them long ago.

But to answer your question, digital is digital so toslink/spdif would sound exactly the same as HDMI assuming you were playing normal AC3, DTS or PCM audio. HDMI can carry a lot more bandwidth so it can actually do HD audio tracks like DTS Master, 7.1 LPCM, Dolby TrueHD. 5.1 audio over toslink/spdif is compressed. Now this only matters if you are watching blurays that have HD audio tracks. Bluray rips will generally not.
Old May 6, 2013, 04:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
You have an SR606 and the HDMI actually still works? That is rare. Everyone I know w/ them (including me) has had the HDMI board die on them long ago.

But to answer your question, digital is digital so toslink/spdif would sound exactly the same as HDMI assuming you were playing normal AC3, DTS or PCM audio. HDMI can carry a lot more bandwidth so it can actually do HD audio tracks like DTS Master, 7.1 LPCM, Dolby TrueHD. 5.1 audio over toslink/spdif is compressed. Now this only matters if you are watching blurays that have HD audio tracks. Bluray rips will generally not.
Yup the daughter board still works and I know lots of people had issues with them.

Well this answers my question then. Perhaps I'll just stick with what I have then.