Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   Sennheiser PC 350 volume up and down noise (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/61070-sennheiser-pc-350-volume-up-down-noise.html)

crisis182 May 4, 2013 06:23 PM

Sennheiser PC 350 volume up and down noise

Hi guys,
I'm a bit worried right now. I stop used my Sennheiser PC 350 for 4/5 month and now when I move my volume wheel to near the max volume I ear some noise like the noise of old tv or radio when as interference.
The headphones only have this problem when i'm moving the volume scroll, when I have volume on max (for example) I can't hear any noise, it's only when moving the volume wheel to near the max volume.

So I want to know if this can become worse in the future and if I should send it to warranty to avoid any problem that can degrade the sound quality.

Thank you, Cristiano Rodrigues.

BlueByte May 4, 2013 06:34 PM

I have the same thing with my 360s, its fine just a crappy dial really. for the price of the headphone they really should not use such a shoddy dial.

ilya May 4, 2013 06:57 PM

It's just a crappy potentiometer, I even get left/right imbalance when the dial is off centre.

crisis182 May 4, 2013 07:16 PM

Thanks for the reply :D

So by this I think it is normal. There is anything that I can do to stop this noise?
Can a crappy potentiometer/dial influence the sound quality? (when i'm not adjusting the volume and don't hear the noise?)

YukonTrooper May 4, 2013 08:50 PM

It shouldn't affect the sound-quality. You can try opening the pot and clean the loose metal filings. If that doesn't work, you can always completely cut out the in-line control, wire together the ends and control the volume with the sound-card and software.

Of course, if it's under warranty then you can always get the unit replaced. The pot will eventually go bad again, however.

dustin1706 May 4, 2013 10:46 PM

The potentiometer is extremely sensitive on these cans and is their biggest downfall. The easy short term solution is to quickly rotate the volume from min to max a bunch of times and be rough with it. This will help get some of the dust and debris out of the pot. The long term solution would be to disassemble and clean the pot with compressed air / electrical contact cleaner.

GT7R May 5, 2013 06:14 AM

Same with my 360s. Just got used to it.

nasrott May 5, 2013 06:46 AM

Ya have this on both 350 and 360 not so noticeable on the 360 though but still there. Been like that since got em If I remember right. Nothing to worry about really...

Bond007 May 5, 2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilya (Post 707153)
It's just a crappy potentiometer, I even get left/right imbalance when the dial is off centre.

Agree. If its really bad you could try and get some electrical cleaner/contact cleaner in it. Sometimes just cycling them a bunch of times helps as well.

Wall86 May 5, 2013 09:43 PM

The pot also affects the sound quality, I bypassed the pot in my PC350's, and they sound a bit more "full"

I was having the issue where the right channel was randomly cutting out completely. Has to be the biggest flaw with the PC350's, I already tore my Sennheiser rep a new one over these things, lol.