Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11, 2013, 04:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I am still quite confused about your volume issue on the v2 (especially since you have also tried a dedicated sound card). Like I said I have the analog version just like you and have zero issues with volume. That said if you don't care about sound quality and just want loud/bassy then there are better options out there.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old April 11, 2013, 07:18 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeOnePack View Post
Hey guys,

I am in the market for another pair of gaming headphones. I currently have the Corsaie HS1's and for gaming surround sound, they are beyond horrible. I play BF3 mostly and notice that the surround sound is not accurate at all. I think I can do a little better than those.

I have been looking closely at the Steelseries Siberia V2 and the Corsair Vengeance 1500.

How is the virtual surround on these headsets? Am I still wasting my time?

Seems there are a bunch of V2's available for $50 on kijiji. Not sure if a deal like that can be passed up.

Any other suggestions?
So you want to spend $50-$100 ? I've had a set of Audio Technica ATH-AD700 going on 3 years,lots of use (gaming) zero issues,still like new,$140 off of fleebay,constant comfort,no buyers regret what so ever.Labtech velcro mic if I need it.If your in Canada cheapest I've found $118,great company out of Ottawa ATH-AD700 from Audio-Technica - Headsets - Computer Parts - - Home Computer Parts, Computer Components, low price computer at Hookbag
Old April 11, 2013, 07:44 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Jim u use that mic in team speak? Every one always whines when I try a separate mic in ts.
Old April 11, 2013, 08:27 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasrott View Post
Jim u use that mic in team speak? Every one always whines when I try a separate mic in ts.
Yes I do,it works flawless,clear,plenty of boost,model LAV-7330 here's the mod https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phjR5V1ZmBc
Bought the mic off of ebay,think I paid 2 bucks.I had tried one of those Zalman Zm-Mic1 that clip on the headphone cable,no good,don't bother,sent it back,never had a complaint about the LabTech.
The mic and phones are a winning combination,they never ever become uncomfortable even when gaming all day,they've gotten more comfortable over time.

Last edited by Jim; April 11, 2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old April 11, 2013, 08:35 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
I am still quite confused about your volume issue on the v2 (especially since you have also tried a dedicated sound card). Like I said I have the analog version just like you and have zero issues with volume. That said if you don't care about sound quality and just want loud/bassy then there are better options out there.
It's fixed now. Not really sure what the problem was. Although the headphones are still not as loud as I would like. My Corsair HS1's are louder for sure.

I played some more Battlefield 3 last night and for positional audio they are light years ahead of the HS1's and Beats Audio. I am still unsatisfied though.

How do those Audio Technica's compare to the PC350's or 360's?
Old April 11, 2013, 08:52 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeOnePack View Post
How do those Audio Technica's compare to the PC350's or 360's?
I tried both models of Sen's for a day couldn't fault them audio wise,for me they lacked longterm comfort,the AT"s use a different method for wearing the phones and keeping them in place,they rest on your head without the clamping force that the Sen's exhibited at least for me,I forget I'm wearing the Technica's. As for volume (keep in mind I'm using an A40 mixamp,amazing sound stage and positional feed back) never had it above 30% would be painfully loud.And I'm sure not here to be a fanboy,if any gear sucks I'll say so,don't care who makes it.

Last edited by Jim; April 11, 2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old April 11, 2013, 09:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I also found Sennheiser's PC350's clamped on my head too hard. I've used the Audio Technicas Jim suggested for a couple of years now. Great headphones, comfortable to wear, but keep in mind they are open back. Anyone in the same room will hear what you hear.
I switched to open back headphones because I could hear my wife and kids calling me while using them. I couldn't hear them using my Sennys. If bass is your priority, they are a bit lacking on lows but they are much better in mids and highs than the last pair of Sennys I had.
Old April 11, 2013, 11:07 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
keep in mind they are open back. Anyone in the same room will hear what you hear
It's possible,though I don't run them that loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
If bass is your priority, they are a bit lacking on lows .
I've heard that said,it is however sleight at most IMHO,you bring up good points.
Old April 11, 2013, 02:19 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I also have the ad 700 but get nothing but problems from guys whinning in ts over the seperate mic compared to my sens. both the 350 and 360.
Now music love them comfort same thing, but as S j mentioned they are open so a bit noisey if your cranking tunes, can hear mine in LR if leave on desk in bedroom.Some complain they have no bass but when fed power I think there fine, bass heads feel different though.

This mic Jim mentioned haven't tried, but do have the snow ball guys still whinned in ts (bitchs) so now back on the open sens the 360 basically there HD 555 with a mic.

The 350 are closed and hotter than 360.

Also use audio tech m50 closed for tunes.
Old April 11, 2013, 02:30 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasrott View Post
I also have the ad 700 but get nothing but problems from guys whinning in ts over the seperate mic compared to my sens. both the 350 and 360.
Now music love them comfort same thing, but as S j mentioned they are open so a bit noisey if your cranking tunes, can hear mine in LR if leave on desk in bedroom.Some complain they have no bass but when fed power I think there fine, bass heads feel different though.

This mic Jim mentioned haven't tried, but do have the snow ball guys still whinned in ts (bitchs) so now back on the open sens the 360 basically there HD 555 with a mic.

The 350 are closed and hotter than 360.

Also use audio tech m50 closed for tunes.
Well, I now have my eyes peeled for some Sennheisers because they keep popping up in peoples comments.

So the 350 is closed and the 360 is open? Other than the obvious, is there a quality difference?