Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 13, 2013, 07:21 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Depends on your headphones,an asus xonar DG can drive pretty high impedance headphones (150 ohm),it's all about power,you can find a sound card with an amp that will be good for you,i can't recommend a particular one though...
Old April 13, 2013, 04:07 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Old Republic Headphones for this Old Man

Well I pulled the trigger on the Old Republic Headphones. Had came close to a $29 Turtle Beach Black Ops Kilo headphones from my local WallyMart - regular $79, but at the nearby EB Gaming store had the chance to compare Turtle Beach's stereo headphones with their 5.1 surround sound headphones and really noticed the difference, so I'm counting on 7.1 being even better. The clerk at E.B. Games said he had the Old Republic Headphones and that they were the best he's ever had. . . . and who doesn't want complete choice in the colours for the glow around your ears :P

Mini-Rant. NCIX had these shown as "free shipping" until the last step before paying then tagged on $11.00 for shipping and handling, called their 1-800 and was told that's because I'm rural. What's up with that, if you live in rural Canada you pay $11 shipping, if you live in a city its free. So my dear wife suggested I try my office address, and guess what, free shipping. So not only do us county bumkins suffer with high cost low speed internet we have to pay extra for shipping when it is free to city slickers.

I also decided that since I was getting Old Republic Headphones I should get the game. Learned from the E.B. Gaming fella that the main game is MMO only and he was not sure it would work well on a rural internet with fluctuating speeds of 1.5 - 4.5 mbs He did dig out the Old Republic Knights game which he said can be played off line and would be a good place to learn the game. See how that goes.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig

Last edited by fortkentdad; April 13, 2013 at 04:15 PM. Reason: bad grammar
Old April 13, 2013, 06:13 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech686239 View Post
On a side note. What is a good headphone amp?
Used an Astro A-40 for the last 5 year,spectacular positional audio in game even if output is stereo the A 40 uprates it to amazing 5.1 ( you must have spdif out and use a toshlink) in BF3 with home theater selected the sound is extremely immersive.Can't speak for later models heard they had issues (bought out by Razer or somebody)if you get one make sure it's an original,they just work,no issues.
Old April 13, 2013, 06:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech686239 View Post
Can u recommend a good amp?
If you're going with an efficient headphone like an AD700 then an amp isn't necessary (not to say that there can't be improvements, but the improvements are usually marginal). Also, if you do go with an amp then make sure your source has a line-level out. Amplifying a signal twice often leads to worse sound quality.
Old April 13, 2013, 06:46 PM
MVP

My System Specs

For a good hp amp even though most hps don't need one would say the fiio is the best bang for the buck. Use the e09/e07 combo and love it, at least for tunes...
Old April 17, 2013, 06:03 PM
MVP

My System Specs

My Razer Old Republic 7.1 Headphone arrived today, as the young say "wicked".

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old April 17, 2013, 11:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortkentdad View Post

My Razer Old Republic 7.1 Headphone arrived today, as the young say "wicked".
Very cool,but I think you have them on the wrong way. I'm almost positive the wired earcup goes on the left side of your head. Looks like you're having fun. GREAT!!
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old April 18, 2013, 10:39 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Picked up a set of Astro A40's with the Mixamp Pro today. First impression is that they are quite light and reasonably comfortable (compared to the G35's I was using) and the sound is pretty good. They have good bass response and the positional audio works well in games like Left 4 Dead. If nothing else I'll have the Mixamp to use on a better set of headphones should i decide that the A40's aren't to my liking.
Old April 18, 2013, 10:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
Very cool,but I think you have them on the wrong way. I'm almost positive the wired earcup goes on the left side of your head. Looks like you're having fun. GREAT!!
Haha I was thinking the exact same thing!
Old April 18, 2013, 11:55 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Yes they are one back-asswards, hey it was the first time I put them on and asked my dearly beloved to take quick picture - discovered the error of my ways when I tried to pull down the microphone. LOL.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig