Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 9, 2013, 09:03 PM
Rookie

Default Shopping for sound

Okay here's a valid question and somewhat odd to answer. I'm interested in buying new speakers for my new build and found out my motherboard can handle 8 channel (7.1) and thus I started checking out prices and capabilities for 7.1 and 5.1 speakers. It then dawned on me that I"ll need to upgrade my current 550W Sea Sonic Gold to something with much more wattage. I was caught by this PSU Whitelight77 - Saved Builds - PCPartPicker Canada but every picture I've found doens't show me where the module ports are. Plus I've heard that some PSU's are better suited for speakers than others but I'm unsure of that. After answering that what speakers or brand would people recommend? After searchign around I'm thinking all I really need is a 5.1 set.

Clear and concise sound is what I'm really after.

Last edited by Whitelight77; March 9, 2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old March 10, 2013, 04:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelight77 View Post
It then dawned on me that I"ll need to upgrade my current 550W Sea Sonic Gold to something with much more wattage.

Plus I've heard that some PSU's are better suited for speakers than others but I'm unsure of that.
Your PSU has absolutely nothing to do with your speakers, I don't see why you think you need to upgrade. If your speakers can be properly powered by a 3.5mm jack they're probably crap anyhow.

Not sure where you heard the second part but I think you misunderstood what you were told. Certain PSU components such as capacitors can be very good in terms of their spec, (which is good for the longevity of computer components) but provide horrendous sound.
Old March 10, 2013, 04:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You already have a great power supply and (as mentioned above) your computer power supply has absolutely zero to do with powering speakers (though for a single high end graphics card I would opt for a 650w model, though not totally required). If they are standard computer speakers they will have their own power cord. If its an actually dedicated set of speakers you will need to buy a receiver...your computer will send the audio signal the the receiver and it powers the speakers.

Last edited by Bond007; March 10, 2013 at 04:56 AM.
Old March 11, 2013, 03:31 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

PSU has nothing to do here

For speaker brands i recommend Edifier,Hercules and Logitech,but be careful,for 7.1 you must have the room and it's not the same sound quality,i would go for 2.0 monitors like the Hercules DJ or M-audio AV series or something like that.Of course a 300 $ logitech 7.1 system will kick ***.
Old March 11, 2013, 06:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

correct PSU has zero impact on sound, its line voltage, grounding issues

since your motherboard supports optical i would use fiber cable to a hometheater amp then to speakers

onboard have come to be better then a card
Old March 11, 2013, 06:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you watch TONS of movies on your PC, then surround may be worth it.

If you play games more than anything else it could be worth it if the games you play properly support surround (which most don't do it well).

If you listen to music then spend as much as possible on an amp and speakers. Try to avoid PC speaker systems if at all possible. They all have limitations and the biggest is usually weak satellites. I'm using the onboard with a Technics amp, Jamo speakers and a Ferguson Hill sub and this is the best sounding setup I have had to date for absolute clarity and reproduction. I am hearing things in the music I listen to I never knew was there. My next upgrade is a Carver amp/preamp and then I start saving for a once in a lifetime set of speakers.
Old March 11, 2013, 02:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I would like to say,the difference between my onboard and my xonar DG is huge,not only the amp but i can really hear it.You also have optimization for bass and a lot of good stuff.

If u gonna get really expensive speakers, sound card will be worth it.
Old March 11, 2013, 04:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You don't need a new PSU for new speakers. The majority of amplification is handled by the amplifier section in the subwoofer and/or speakers of a desktop speaker system.