Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 24, 2013, 02:49 PM
Allstar

Worst case scenario, they have a 30 day money back guarantee. Sure it would suck losing out on the shipping costs but at least you can audition without too much money out of pocket. Shipping shouldn't be too bad actually, I have the UPA-7 which weighs in at 80+lbs and the shipping was around $80 if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, if you already have a dac I would hold off on that until you determine if you like the Emotiva gear.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old February 24, 2013, 03:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks everyone, I have made up my mind to give the Emotiva a shot. I posed this same question in a few other forums, and even on the Hi-Fi sites, after adding in the Emotiva they all seem to lean that way over the integrated amps. It still baffles me that they can offer such a high end product for so cheap. I mean, the CA is one of the best on the market in its bracket, and it still seems to be placed behind the Emotiva setup.

Also Nodscene, the DAC I mentioned is in my sound card on the PC (Burr-Brown PCM 1792A). Not an external DAC. I will spend a few more days reading and researching everything to convince myself 100% to give them a shot, and if everything still checks out I will purchase it. I'll update and let you guys know my decision once I order something.
Old February 24, 2013, 04:31 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

If I was you I would go to www.canuckaudiomart.com and ask questions and or purchase. I have sold and purchased lots of audio components from this web site. You can buy high end SimAudio for under 1000.00. I would check it out.

You want go wrong with NAD but then what speakers do you have. You may have highend amp but if you dont have speakers for it then you will wast your money.

Check this out Recent trade in; Bel Canto S300i Integrated Amp - Canuck Audio Mart

Last edited by kazman; February 24, 2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old February 24, 2013, 04:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You have to remember pricing is also be skewed based on how well known the band is and what quality they are known for too.

Also, you are ordering it directly from Emotiva, there is no middleman, so all of that money goes back in to them. I also suspect that they don't inflate their prices to be more competitive AND properly have better engineering to use less but better parts compared to their competitors.
Old February 24, 2013, 05:01 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazman View Post
You want go wrong with NAD but then what speakers do you have. You may have highend amp but if you dont have speakers for it then you will wast your money.

Check this out Recent trade in; Bel Canto S300i Integrated Amp - Canuck Audio Mart
I have a set of Series 7 Paradigm Mini Monitors.
Mini Monitor - Welcome to the New Official ParadigmŪ Website.
I also have a set of Mitsubishi SS-3100 towers (wont be hooked up too often)

I have spent a lot of time looking at CAM, and I missed a basically new Cambridge Audio 651a at $600, but I wasn't ready to buy at the time.
Old February 24, 2013, 07:02 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

You want go wrong with NAD. Cambridge Audio 651a is fine but you can do much better for that much money.

Last edited by kazman; February 24, 2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old February 26, 2013, 10:53 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well the Emotiva setup with the DAC is about $1700 landed to my door, so that is out of the running. It is still around $1250 to land just the Pre/Pro + Amp. ~$400 in shipping and duties
Old March 1, 2013, 08:34 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well, I made some changes to my budget, as well as brand choice. I have decided to purchase a Naim Nait 5i it will cost me about $1700 after tax's but after spending a few hours auditioning it, comparing it to not only similarly price units, but also setups way above my price point, Naim seems to have the perfect solution for my ears.

While I know you guys seem to really like Emotiva, the fact that I enjoyed this unit more then the Bryston setup I listened to, 4BSSt2 (~$4500) amp was used in the Bryston setup, I have to say that I am making the right choice going with the Naim Nait 5i.

While I felt the Bryston was lacking the warmth that Naim had to offer, there is a chance that Emotiva offers that same warmth and punch the Naim had but I can't just go and audition the hardware. I really was sold on Emotiva until tonight's audition. I just can't afford 2x $400 freight + duty fee if the Emotiva gear doesn't stack up to the Naim.

I listened to 4 Integrated amps, and 2 separates. (Separates were 1x Bryston, and 1x McIntosh [by far the best thing I listened to all night]) All were driving my speakers, so it wasn't like we were driving a set of B&W 802 Diamonds (Drool) - sound better on tubes then solid state IMO, Other then the McIntosh setup I favored the Naim. The integrateds I auditioned where: Cambridge audio 851a (they just got it in on trade theis week) NAD 375bee, Rega Brio-r, and the Naim Nait 5i.

Also auditioned them with my own music, in which I know the gentle nuances of. (Hearing the fingers slide down a fret board of Slash Ft. Myles Kennedy, Anastasia ....can't even describe the feeling I get when I hear that, clearly hearing the lead guitar of Shinedown - Devour [they brought in a second guitarist ~he was the lead~ just for this song - listening to his picking is extremely soothing, despite how fast and upbeat the song is] and can't forget about all the strings from music such as Lindsey stirling [she can play a violin like no other] and there may or not have been a little bit of Mozart as part of my CD's I brought in)

Now, I just need to stop myself from purchasing the amp on Saturday, and instead wait a few weeks and get some more of my monster millage paychecks $0.48 per KM... 280km for some of the mine sites I go too

Despite me choosing something completely backwards of what you offered me, I thank you guys for the input. It did help me with deciding to go with Naim. I hadn't looks at separates prior to this post (heard them, just didn't plan to buy that setup) and after hearing the $10k bryston [They are one of the best out there for separates, my Grandfather actually has a full Bryston setup + B&W 804 Nautilus ~ those speakers make all the difference with the Brystons ~] I realized that the Naim nait 5i was able to compete with some of the higher end systems on the market, and for me the perfect sound to price ratio.
Old March 2, 2013, 07:07 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Hold on, you went with a Naim integrated? That's a whole different ballgame, and you will be pleased - I know the Naim sound quite well, having heard for hundreds of hours the Naim / Lynn Sondek LP12 / Lynn Kan setup of Mother's in my younger years (I now own the LP12).

Enjoy some sweet sounds.
Old March 2, 2013, 07:21 AM
Allstar

I pm'd you my add...take a look. Going to post it in the buy/sell here soon with my name on it.

CHEERS