Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 15, 2013, 08:40 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Soundcard question

Hey guys ,was wondering,is any PCI sound card better than chipsets? i mean a xonar DSX is better than a 100$ mobo chipset ,or how it is really compared to those?
Old February 15, 2013, 03:32 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

To be frankly honest unless you're an audiophile, there's absolutely no need to get an audio card, pretty much all modern motherboards have HD audio chipset with 7.1 channels, and some with digital optical port. They say that a audio card will reduce the CPU usage, but really it's like by 1% so it's not worth it.
Old February 15, 2013, 03:50 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I don't know if im an audiophile,but i have a really accurate ear and i make my own music so yeah i can tell the difference from lossless and 320 kbps MP3 for example^^
Old February 15, 2013, 03:56 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I suppose I forgot to say if you make your own music :P Then sure you can go and get an audio card, as for which one, I can't help you, I never had one.
Old February 15, 2013, 04:46 PM
MVP

My System Specs

there is some decently low cost soundcards/dacs that wipe the floor with nearly every onboard that is currently being used. It is and always has been about real estate, thin kof it like this onboard gpu and ethernet have come a long way from their performance side years ago, howeve,r they can only take up so much space on the motherboard to provide the functionality, so unless you are getting a mid to high end if not enthusiast grade motherboard, you are not getting anything close to the same grade.

BOM accounts for the parts being used, generally, the makers do not use anything but the minimum required by design or cost constraints, sometimes they go above to be better then certain competition boards, but overall, they end up being roughly about the same.

7.1 is only one side of it, loseless audio, filtering, SNR etc all make a difference, just like the amount of memory, tmu, rops, shaders etc make a difference or the way in which they are aranged architecturally(AMD/Nvidia/Intel)

Of course the OS has a quite profound effect on things, however, any user that I have known that has even a semi decent set of speakers or headset can telll the difference immediately between onboard and even a mid range soundcard in regards to clarity, "clean" sounds, bass or teble and such.

Onboard is night and day better then what it once was, but at the same time, it simply cannot compete directly with the real estate a dedicated unit can give, there simply is not enough room, unless the motherboard in question was built around this premise, which some are and the audio ends up being very good, but this is not the norm, the norm is realtek, which well, are ok, but have never been great either.

long spiel, but, if you are looking for "quality" for whatever reason, then yes, a dedicated sound card is worth it, generally for music/movies--gaming Asus with thier Xonar line does very well, Auzentech like Creative are by far more geared to gaming-movies---music, then some like HT Omega depending on the card, is even more tailored for specific purposes.

I have a Xonar DX which is PCI-e not pci, though the 2 newest ones are PCI based in some ways better, in some worse then this one, but there is a whole whack of cards to choose from, and all are quite different in the way they are good for certain things, generally, they use the C-Media Oxygen chips of various types, X-Fi chips, but that is your big makers overall, Asus, Creative, Auzentech, HT Omega, M Audio.
Old February 15, 2013, 05:15 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Ok :) thanks for all that information!