Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1, 2013, 09:40 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Creative FATAL1TY Gaming Headset. About 40 CAD new. I had one of these for a while before i started buying expensive headphones. Then i pawned them off to my sister so she could use them for skype.
Old February 2, 2013, 01:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliz View Post

For vangeance 1500 headset,i have a friend who owns a 1500,and there is horrible cracking noise,headphones failure :/ he tested with his 2 PC's and differend soundcards,it's the same...Maybe it's just a bad luck,but i would not recommend it.

Don't forget that you also pay for a mic and several speakers (7.1) so the sound quality is not the same as if you had 2 speakers for the same price.
I have the HS1's (older versions of these) and they are decent sound all round though the mic isn't brilliant, I got a bit of cracking in 1 ear after 3 years of usage but appears to be the wire at the ear-cup rather than the drivers themselves.

Main point of these is the comfort.. they are unbelievably comfortable for long or short gaming sessions.
Depending on your motherboard the sound will be about the same as USB (slightly better or worse depending on the DAC used)
Save the money and get the 1300 instead of the 1500.

Also they only have 2 drivers. dunno what the guy above is talking about but he obviously either doesn't know the headset or is getting them confused with another set.
AND the 1500 are USB so how he tested with different soundcards is totally beyond me.

Last thing is.. Gaming headsets tend to be boomy (lots of bass) for gaming reasons. if you don't want to spend the money, just find a decently comfortable pair of headphones and be happy enough. No need for anything specific.

(gonna have to check out the sony ones above at that price and see what they are like)
Old February 2, 2013, 03:29 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

In 7.1 headphones you have several speakers right?No i don't know it but he told me there were several speakers build in the earcups !? And he tested them with different PC's,so different soundcards... or chipsets if you want ... A pc is very old and the other is brand new. He is going to use warranty.I'm not trying to destroy their reputation, happens with every brand... Just saying because it happened 5 days ago.

Anyway,If you don't want a mic,I think it's smarter to spend money in headphones without mic to get all the price in the speakers ,no?

Last edited by bliz; February 2, 2013 at 03:44 AM.
Old February 2, 2013, 04:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
In 7.1 headphones you have several speakers right?No i don't know it but he told me there were several speakers build in the earcups !? And he tested them with different PC's,so different soundcards... or chipsets if you want ... A pc is very old and the other is brand new. He is going to use warranty.I'm not trying to destroy their reputation, happens with every brand... Just saying because it happened 5 days ago.

Anyway,If you don't want a mic,I think it's smarter to spend money in headphones without mic to get all the price in the speakers ,no?
They have virtual surround, like most USB headsets. There are only 2 drivers in the corsair headsets..
Also the 1500 being USB has the DAC built in.. it needs no sound-card and has no way to be plugged into one.
That doesn't mean he didn't try it on 2 pc's.. but not different sound cards unless he cut off the old one and attached a new one some-how.

Depends on what he wants.. if he was listening to movies and music then I would 100% agree, but the sound stage for games is completely different to that of music(and different genre's) and film.

To the OP.. Get the most comfortable ones you can afford (without sacrificing build quality or too much sound quality) which I think the 1300's(not usb and cheaper) will live up to.
If you don't play for very long with them then just get anything semi-decent. Steelseries do some ok headsets at lower prices..
I'd still be interested in the Sony's mentioned above but it's all personal taste/needs etc.

Last edited by Dzzope; February 2, 2013 at 04:08 AM.
Old February 2, 2013, 04:26 AM
MVP

Quote:
Yeah :D i have exactly those :D

still around 100$? that's weird,in any shop in france you get them for 51 -60 euros now....

Newegg.com - Sony MDR-V55

and it's USD... Yay newegg
Thats newegg.com, can't order from there in Canada. Also its not newegg whos selling it, its a partner who sells thru newegg. Not available at all on newegg.ca.

$86 on Amazon.ca is the best I can find.
Old February 2, 2013, 04:39 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Oh yeah :( i checked a few canadian stores, they are extremely expensive... 125$ on bestbuy :( we are lucky in europe^^
Old February 20, 2013, 05:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLou View Post
there is no such thing as a "gaming" headphone.

good audio is good audio, whether its for movies, music, game etc. Putting gaming in the name is just a marketing gimmick to get you to buy it.

Headsets (usually) don't have great audio, Id recommend you spend about 100 dollars on a good pair of headphones and then buy a cheap 5 dollar zalman clip on mic.
I've been using these for years, SONY - Studio Monitor Series Stereo Headphones (MDR-V600) - Newegg.com and the frequency response is amazing, can wear them for hours. I highly recommend a good set of over the ear type with the 5-30khz range. On the ear type makes my ears burn after just a few minutes. Of course the ear pads on the V600 fall apart after a couple years but there's cheap aftermarket replacements. I think you convinced me to buy a cheap mic and keep going.
Old February 20, 2013, 08:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you did want a set with a mic I grabbed a set of steelseries Siberia v2 on sale around the holidays for $60 plus tax and I have no complains with the headset or mic. If you don't care about the mic at all, then you will probably be better served by a standard headset.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old February 20, 2013, 08:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The Vengeance 1500 headset will go on sale periodically. Picked mine up for $84 taxes and shipping included from NCIX. You have to look for the sale...

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old February 20, 2013, 05:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Creative Aurvana Live, if you can find them somewhere in your price bracket. They used to go on sale for around $60. A hidden gem of the head-fi world.