Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2013, 11:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Windows Audio Enhancments

Wow, I haven't had this much fun (trouble shooting) in a long time.

I don't know wehre to begin. Let's see. I just popped an HD 7970 in my system about a week ago having been forced to use my rear headphone/speaker out jack due to the fact the GPU has no S/PDIF but it had 2 DVI and 4 Display ports. I don't have anything but a DVI>HDMI connector right now.

My TV/Monitor does not have display ports. Anyway, thats kind of redundant I think. My problem is that I thought I could just use my SupremeFX II rear speaker out (front panel is broken) for the time being. It worked great in the past. But some time after installing my new GPU all hell broke loose.

The sound I get now is muffled and somewhat echoy. I can hear some voice and some is missing. Windows complained I was having issued with sound enhancements and asked If I would like them turned off. I clicked on yes. But it still seems enabled.

Windows confirmed this as it complained again about it. I at first thought my riser card bit it so I reinstalled windows to make sure it wasn't a bunk install. Then I thought, well, I'll just put my old Audigy card back in there. Same problem.

I'm hoping that somone knows whats going on. I disabled all enhancments I could find reset the riser card. Replaced the riser with a PCI SB Audigy. I'm pulling my hair out here.

The only thing that has really changed since the trouble began was the new video card. I have disabled the onboard sound in the BIOS. Help would be much appreciated.

Any idea how to use Windows "AudioPlaybackDiagnostic.diagcab" ?

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; January 19, 2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old January 19, 2013, 01:33 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well this is only a suggestion but I suggest uninstalling the AMD drivers for it, redo the installation but use a Custom Installation instead of Typical. In it I think you'll find something like HDMI AUDIO checked, uncheck that, once finished restart your PC, check your audio if it's any better.

Also most of the time the echos you hear are from outdated audio drivers (seriously happened to me during my Warcraft 3 days.)
Old January 19, 2013, 03:16 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Not sure what is going on with Asus sound lately was having a few issues myself lately on the newest os and hardware, guess everything being new and all.

In your case your using an older os on a new board with new hardware, I believe that is your wits end problem in itself. Used to reinstall vista in my sleep on hardware that was around when it was, was very happy to see windows 7 now am on 8 playing with new quirks but all in all think an OS upgrade may be in order to solve allot of your sound wow's...

U can upgrade to win8 pro for like 40 bucks right from ms site. Or install the win8 eval and uograde from it and save your older os in case of hardware/software compatibility and need too dual boot idea.

So give a new os dual boot a try then decide what is for u idea, remember windows 7 is just a fixed vista in my opinion.

Found vista fast but pita though.

Last edited by nasrott; January 19, 2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old January 19, 2013, 03:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks for the feedback guys! In my frustration I went to Creative Labs website and lo, they had a newer driver (I thought I had the newest) 2010. Driver swept the crap out of the registry. Intalled thier latest 2010 driver and BOOM! Time to celebrate!

But I will be upgrading the OS. I just don't want to do it till I get a new board or M$ will screw me out of it I'm sure.

OH! and SHAME on you ASUS for not supporting the Supreme FX (2008) yet Creative has newer drivers for my Audigy 1 (2003).
Old January 19, 2013, 04:31 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Updated my board since buying win 8 pro gave them a call they gave me a new code after transferring me to india. He remoted in and set it all up was very painless and pretty quick.
Old January 19, 2013, 05:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys! In my frustration I went to Creative Labs website and lo, they had a newer driver (I thought I had the newest) 2010. Driver swept the crap out of the registry. Intalled thier latest 2010 driver and BOOM! Time to celebrate!

But I will be upgrading the OS. I just don't want to do it till I get a new board or M$ will screw me out of it I'm sure.

OH! and SHAME on you ASUS for not supporting the Supreme FX (2008) yet Creative has newer drivers for my Audigy 1 (2003).
Well hey Windows 8 is still 40$ after all so it's the perfect time :P I will stay with Windows 7 for now and wait until Windows 9, my PC doesn't really need an upgrade for another 2-3 years.

Also I somehow knew it was an outdated driver the problem, it's like they notify you through echos that your driver is out-dated lol.