Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 18, 2013, 09:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Starting to look for some cans... can anyone give me a place to start?

So I'm going to need some cans and I've never used anything other than cheap ear buds so I have no idea even where to start. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there are any stores in my area were I can go demo some either so I'll have to buy without hearing them first. Since I know there are some hi-fi guys here I'm hoping someone can at least give me a place to start my research or some preferred models to start looking into?

I'm not looking to spend too much especially since I have nothing to base an opinion on what I might like or dislike. I'd like to get away with $100 but if an extra $20-$30 gets me something that much better than I don't think I have a problem with that. Main concern is music quality - though I'm sure they will be used for movies and gaming at some point. I'm into home audio and I value a smooth response and a natural sound, maybe a hair on the warmish side? Clean midrange is a must though.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
Ryan
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old January 18, 2013, 10:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Headfi is the place to do your research. I'm not particularly familiar with the stuff available around the $100 range myself, so I can't offer much in terms of suggestions. The only thing I can say is maybe try for a used set of higher priced cans. I got a set of Sennheiser HD555's (modded to HD595) used on HWC for $70.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old January 18, 2013, 11:34 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Audio Technica - ATH -M50 are a great headphone for the price.
SoundProfessional.com has 2 versions in your price range
USB Microphone, Stereo Microphone, Preamplifier, Digital Recorder, Custom Cables and more at Rock Bottom Prices from The Sound Professionals - Great deals on Microphone, Preamplifier, Digital Recorder, Cable and more! straight cable $119USD
USB Microphone, Stereo Microphone, Preamplifier, Digital Recorder, Custom Cables and more at Rock Bottom Prices from The Sound Professionals - Great deals on Microphone, Preamplifier, Digital Recorder, Cable and more! coiled cable $115USD
Old January 19, 2013, 12:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Over-the-ear? Easily driven?
Old January 19, 2013, 04:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ATH-M50 is very forward and energetic...which in turn is pretty fatiguing

For laid back listening I prefer the SRH840 or FA-003 in that range

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old January 19, 2013, 09:48 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

for $100 go with the Shure SRH440, Philips Cityscape Downtown or Sennheiser 428.

Amazon.com: Shure SRH440 Professional Studio Headphones (Black): Musical Instruments
Amazon.com: Philips Accessories SHL5605BK/28 CitiScape Downtown Headphones (Brown): Electronics
Sennheiser HD428 Closed Circumaural Hi-Fi Headphone (Black): Amazon.ca: Electronics

The Philips are a bit warmer and more enjoyable for music. I use them for everyday music listening. The Shure are more nuetral and a bit harder to drive. I love using these for movies and games. Definitely benefits from a PMP with an amp or an external one. They're a bit heavy and can use some extra headband padding. The senns are completely nuetral, easy to drive and a joy to listen to. The really long cable drives me crazy though. I use these to listen to music and fall asleep with.

I have all three and love them all. Each has different purposes and strengths though.
Old January 19, 2013, 03:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I know is a little more than u wanted to spend but for highs and low price would say the Audio Technica Ath ad700 , allot wine they have no bass but for me I think there fine.

I like mine for music, now for gaming I use senns could never find a decent mic to replace the pc360's in a separate arrangement yet....
Old January 19, 2013, 06:27 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

i will only comment on cans for gaming. i have the Razer Tiamats, Tritton HDA, & Roccat Kaves. My preference is the Trittons for gaming. as Lpfan4ever mentioned...the place to go for info is www.Headfi.org
Old January 23, 2013, 10:50 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

SRH 840 is the way to go, currently rocking with it
Old February 15, 2013, 06:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Looked into the SRH840's and liked what I read. Every review mentioned how good the mids were and the price wasn't so far away from what I wanted to spend so I sprung for a set. Now I need a USB DAC/headphone amp of reasonable quality to get me through. I have a DAC kit in storage that IIRC is pretty high quality and I will most likely DIY an amp when I get all my stuff back. I also want something that I can eventually transition over to my car PC install as a DAC to feed my car stereo. I was thinking of the Fiio E07k as it seems to get great reviews and a reasonable price. I realize the E17 is capable of better resolution but all I have is CD quality flacs for it anyway so all the extra resolution won't do me much good.

Anyone object to the Fiio E07k?
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water