Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   Starting to look for some cans... can anyone give me a place to start? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/59217-starting-look-some-cans-can-anyone-give-me-place-start.html)

biff January 18, 2013 09:41 PM

Starting to look for some cans... can anyone give me a place to start?

So I'm going to need some cans and I've never used anything other than cheap ear buds so I have no idea even where to start. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there are any stores in my area were I can go demo some either so I'll have to buy without hearing them first. Since I know there are some hi-fi guys here I'm hoping someone can at least give me a place to start my research or some preferred models to start looking into?

I'm not looking to spend too much especially since I have nothing to base an opinion on what I might like or dislike. I'd like to get away with $100 but if an extra $20-$30 gets me something that much better than I don't think I have a problem with that. Main concern is music quality - though I'm sure they will be used for movies and gaming at some point. I'm into home audio and I value a smooth response and a natural sound, maybe a hair on the warmish side? Clean midrange is a must though.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
Ryan

Lpfan4ever January 18, 2013 10:42 PM

Headfi is the place to do your research. I'm not particularly familiar with the stuff available around the $100 range myself, so I can't offer much in terms of suggestions. The only thing I can say is maybe try for a used set of higher priced cans. I got a set of Sennheiser HD555's (modded to HD595) used on HWC for $70.

brewer265@ January 18, 2013 11:34 PM

Audio Technica - ATH -M50 are a great headphone for the price.
SoundProfessional.com has 2 versions in your price range
USB Microphone, Stereo Microphone, Preamplifier, Digital Recorder, Custom Cables and more at Rock Bottom Prices from The Sound Professionals - Great deals on Microphone, Preamplifier, Digital Recorder, Cable and more! straight cable $119USD
USB Microphone, Stereo Microphone, Preamplifier, Digital Recorder, Custom Cables and more at Rock Bottom Prices from The Sound Professionals - Great deals on Microphone, Preamplifier, Digital Recorder, Cable and more! coiled cable $115USD

YukonTrooper January 19, 2013 12:15 AM

Over-the-ear? Easily driven?

Jackquelegs January 19, 2013 04:04 AM

ATH-M50 is very forward and energetic...which in turn is pretty fatiguing

For laid back listening I prefer the SRH840 or FA-003 in that range

Daedalus2002 January 19, 2013 09:48 AM

for $100 go with the Shure SRH440, Philips Cityscape Downtown or Sennheiser 428.

Amazon.com: Shure SRH440 Professional Studio Headphones (Black): Musical Instruments
Amazon.com: Philips Accessories SHL5605BK/28 CitiScape Downtown Headphones (Brown): Electronics
Sennheiser HD428 Closed Circumaural Hi-Fi Headphone (Black): Amazon.ca: Electronics

The Philips are a bit warmer and more enjoyable for music. I use them for everyday music listening. The Shure are more nuetral and a bit harder to drive. I love using these for movies and games. Definitely benefits from a PMP with an amp or an external one. They're a bit heavy and can use some extra headband padding. The senns are completely nuetral, easy to drive and a joy to listen to. The really long cable drives me crazy though. I use these to listen to music and fall asleep with.

I have all three and love them all. Each has different purposes and strengths though.

nasrott January 19, 2013 03:42 PM

I know is a little more than u wanted to spend but for highs and low price would say the Audio Technica Ath ad700 , allot wine they have no bass but for me I think there fine.

I like mine for music, now for gaming I use senns could never find a decent mic to replace the pc360's in a separate arrangement yet....

Bean Counter January 19, 2013 06:27 PM

i will only comment on cans for gaming. i have the Razer Tiamats, Tritton HDA, & Roccat Kaves. My preference is the Trittons for gaming. as Lpfan4ever mentioned...the place to go for info is www.Headfi.org

edhahaha January 23, 2013 10:50 PM

SRH 840 is the way to go, currently rocking with it

biff February 15, 2013 06:36 PM

Looked into the SRH840's and liked what I read. Every review mentioned how good the mids were and the price wasn't so far away from what I wanted to spend so I sprung for a set. Now I need a USB DAC/headphone amp of reasonable quality to get me through. I have a DAC kit in storage that IIRC is pretty high quality and I will most likely DIY an amp when I get all my stuff back. I also want something that I can eventually transition over to my car PC install as a DAC to feed my car stereo. I was thinking of the Fiio E07k as it seems to get great reviews and a reasonable price. I realize the E17 is capable of better resolution but all I have is CD quality flacs for it anyway so all the extra resolution won't do me much good.

Anyone object to the Fiio E07k?