Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 5, 2013, 07:34 PM
Rookie

Default Better Sound ?

Hello all, I have a HP HPE-500F Pavilion , ( windows 7/ 64 bit ) would a new sound card ( Creative Sound Blaster ZX ) be worth the money on my monitors instead of using the onboard sound on my HPE -500F(Studiophile AV 40 or will I just waste my money ?

Last edited by soambiatch; January 11, 2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: no responce
Old January 12, 2013, 08:05 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

To be honest, you'd be better of some $100 headphones and a decent soundcard. There is no need for a soundcard that is that expensive to be used with monitor speakers.

As for the headphones - Grado SR80i. I used to use these and I thought they had a nice, warm sound. (upgraded to HD 558s) Amazon.com: Grado Prestige Series SR80i Stereo Headphone: Electronics
Soundcard - Xonar DGX. I think that for $40, this soundcard sets a whole new level for a value soundcard. Amazon.com: ASUS Xonar DGX PCI-E GX2.5 Audio Engine Sound Cards: Electronics

Ends up about the same price ($10 less, yeehaww), and will be much more satisfactory.
/S
Old January 12, 2013, 08:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm assuming you already have the speakers?

If so, I would look at soundcards from ASUS, Auzentech or HT Omega personally. They'll offer far superior sound quality compared to Creative Soundblaster products.
Old January 12, 2013, 10:03 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I prefer ASUS because they tend to be more balanced in terms of gaming vs. music. Xonar ST <3
@JD "To be used w/ monitor speakers"
Old January 13, 2013, 01:50 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

No, he doesn't mean monitor speakers. He means his M-Audio AV40 speakers which are also referred to as "monitors". I'd say get something like an Asus Xonar DX as they're pretty inexpensive especially when on sale, and there will be quite a difference from onboard. So I say go for it.
Old January 13, 2013, 08:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

realtek ALC888S-VD is what you have onboard is good but need a amp to work them Studiophile AV 40 speakers (20 watts, 4 ohm)

save your money and get a amp thats support 4 ohm's or has optical inputs and

i use optical to my yamaha RX-V1900

Old January 13, 2013, 05:33 PM
Rookie

Default Thanks

I have the M audio av 40 monitors and new cans audio technica ath-m50 I,m gonna go with the asus xonar dgx.
Thanks all
Old January 19, 2013, 10:33 PM
Rookie

Default Better Sound ?

I did buy the asus DGX , the drivers do not work , I can not hear a difference between my on board HP ( HPE- 500f ) and the asus DGX sound card . I uploaded the drivers , most recent drivers from asus site and, I had no sound . I Uninstalled the ALC888S-VD drivers , Then installed the asus driver and no sound , I have a AMD/ATI 6870 sapphire . I just want to hear my Audio Technica ATH-M50 Headphones and my M-Audio AV 40s at it,s best. Thanks .
Old January 19, 2013, 11:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

How do you know you can't hear a difference between the DGX and on-board if you can't even get the DGX working?
Old January 20, 2013, 12:02 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Maybe his onboard audio never worked either