Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old December 29, 2012, 06:14 AM
GT7R's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Our universe
Posts: 991

My System Specs

Default HD800 + Xonar Essence STX

A question to the experienced audiophiles - Will the STX do justice with the HD800s? I'm ready to put the $$ on them but I do not want the fuss and additional cost of external amps...

Last edited by GT7R; December 29, 2012 at 07:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old December 29, 2012, 10:07 AM
Allstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 644

My System Specs

Default

They'd be pretty good, in a perfect world you would change the op amp on the stx to your personal preference.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old December 29, 2012, 11:58 AM
dustin1706's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Alberta
Posts: 629

My System Specs

Default

The STX is about as good as it gets right now for PC soundcards. Technically, the specs say that they will work fine together and like jibz says, you can pick a different op amp to suit your headphones and preference. I actually swapped in some TI LM6172's, to try with my PC360s, but I found the sound too bassy down low and too bright/metallic on the highs. I went back to the stock op amps and really like the sound.

All that being said, the STX is not a replacement for a proper audio setup. If I were you I would step down to some 598s which are still awesome, but way cheaper and put the difference towards a custom water loop, second monitor or save it towards next gen hardware.

Just my 2c
__________________
Rig1 in "My System Specs"
Rig2: Q6600, P5DN-D, GTX650, 4GB HyperX, LG BD drive, TT armor case, ek supreme HF, 655 pump, XP
Dell XPS17 - i7 2820QM, 8GB ram, 1920x1080, BluRay, GT555m 3GB, 240gb Neutron GTX, 640GB Seagate, Win7 64
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old December 29, 2012, 02:07 PM
GT7R's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Our universe
Posts: 991

My System Specs

Default

That's more or less what I was thinking, thanks for the input :)
I think I'll be heading towards the Audeze LCD-2s (If I'll be able to find them..) or Hifiman's HE-500.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old February 2, 2013, 05:23 AM
STX STX is offline
Trial Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin1706 View Post
The STX is about as good as it gets right now for PC soundcards. Technically, the specs say that they will work fine together and like jibz says, you can pick a different op amp to suit your headphones and preference. I actually swapped in some TI LM6172's, to try with my PC360s, but I found the sound too bassy down low and too bright/metallic on the highs. I went back to the stock op amps and really like the sound.

All that being said, the STX is not a replacement for a proper audio setup. If I were you I would step down to some 598s which are still awesome, but way cheaper and put the difference towards a custom water loop, second monitor or save it towards next gen hardware.

Just my 2c
My HD800s embarrass my old 595s on the Xonar STX...
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old February 2, 2013, 09:55 PM
Jackquelegs's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 2,590

My System Specs

Default

No, and even more no for LCD-2

But that's really from a very strict view. It'll probably drive it fine, but you will get more out of an external amp. My STX for one does not react well on high gain
__________________
Iapetos
Intel Core i7 930 D0 4.2ghz, Corsair XMS3 6X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 8-8-8-24, Xfire HD5870, Intel X-25M 34nm 80gb, Enermax Revolution85+ 1050W, Xonar D2X

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old February 3, 2013, 09:36 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 12

My System Specs

Default

3 cheers for bringing dead threads back! :)
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old February 5, 2013, 12:20 AM
GT7R's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Our universe
Posts: 991

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STX View Post
My HD800s embarrass my old 595s on the Xonar STX...
That's nice to know :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
No, and even more no for LCD-2

But that's really from a very strict view. It'll probably drive it fine, but you will get more out of an external amp. My STX for one does not react well on high gain
I really do want to upgrade from my SRH840s... and I always prefer the Deep lows and generally darker sound of the LCD-2s. (I can test almost any pair at my friend's studio)
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old April 5, 2013, 01:29 PM
GT7R's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Our universe
Posts: 991

My System Specs

Default

Settled on the HD650's. Bang on what I was looking for. The STX drives them beautifully.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old April 5, 2013, 05:49 PM
Jackquelegs's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 2,590

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7R View Post
Settled on the HD650's. Bang on what I was looking for. The STX drives them beautifully.
Excellent choice, the 650 is a great pairing for the STX
__________________
Iapetos
Intel Core i7 930 D0 4.2ghz, Corsair XMS3 6X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 8-8-8-24, Xfire HD5870, Intel X-25M 34nm 80gb, Enermax Revolution85+ 1050W, Xonar D2X

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ASUS Xonar Essence STX SEGACDX Audio 6 November 18, 2012 06:48 PM
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Chess Gator Audio 5 September 8, 2011 04:47 PM
[WTB] ASUS Xonar Essence STX Silvgearx Buy/Sell & Trade 2 April 10, 2010 04:02 PM
How to get the most out of my ASUS Xonar Essence STX ADay2Long Audio 10 February 19, 2010 02:51 PM
[WTB] Xonar Essence STX Phillie Buy/Sell & Trade 0 April 10, 2009 08:22 AM