Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   Sound Card and Headsets (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/58686-sound-card-headsets.html)

Typhoonbot December 23, 2012 03:25 PM

Sound Card and Headsets

Hi guys this is my first post here, so if I do something wrong please just let me know don't come after me with rude signs and pitchforks Way To Fold :offtopic: :dots: :ban:. Kidding, I was just looking for an excuse to use the cool emoticons.

Anyway for the true purpose of my post. I'm looking to improve my overall sound quality for gaming.

Currently I use my onboard sound ports and logitech g330 headset (not by any means a decent audio setup).

First of all is which headset to get, I've narrowed it down to two options:

* Razer blackshark 2.0ch
* Razer Megalodon 7.1ch surround.

Now you might think it would be an obvious choice (the megalodons), but I really like the look of the blacksharks and the build quality (I've already broken 2 headsets including the Creative Lab WoW wireless headset which isn't exactly cheap). So build quality is an important factor for me.

My question is, will I REALLY notice a massive difference between the sound quality of a 2.0ch headset with virtual surround and a 7.1ch true surround sound headset? Also I think it's worth a mention the blacksharks have had a boost to their bass to make sure the explosions and such in games sound really realistic.

Another thing worth mentioning is the megalodons have what they call an "included sound card". Now that's all I've managed to ascertain. I couldn't find out if it's a good sound card, if it really makes a difference to the sound quality etc. Its basically just an external box shaped device that the cord runs through giving the options to change volume etc, that apparently also acts as a sound card?

As a last sort of side note, I have a Republic Of Gamers Rampage IV Gene motherboard with "hd onboard audio". Now will I get better sound quality by installing a sound card, or should the hd onboard audio provide the same experience?

Thanks I'm really just looking for some of your experience in trying different headsets and sound cards etc, it would be great if someone who has owned the blacksharks or the megalodons could give me some pointers, else just generally your experience on 2.0 vs 7.1.

Regards

Typhoonbot December 24, 2012 12:36 PM

bump bump

Slik December 24, 2012 01:24 PM

You would enjoy a much better,and immersive gaming experience, with a good sound card hooked up with a set of very good 7.1 analog headphones. I suggest the Xonar Phoebus sound card,paired with the Razer Tiamat 7.1 analog gaming headphones. In my opinion,there is no better gaming combo on the market today.

Typhoonbot December 24, 2012 01:50 PM

Thank you for your response and suggestions, I will watch a few reviews on the tiamats. And you reckon I should def go for the sound card as well, it will def improve the quality than my onboard hd sound (on the RoG rampage IV GENE motherboard)?

Regards

Slik December 25, 2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typhoonbot (Post 680002)
Thank you for your response and suggestions, I will watch a few reviews on the tiamats. And you reckon I should def go for the sound card as well, it will def improve the quality than my onboard hd sound (on the RoG rampage IV GENE motherboard)?

Regards

I have the ROG Maximus V Formula mobo,and the Phoebus beats the hell out of it's on board sound. Even a lesser sound card will sound better. Not too much less,but a decent sound card is the way to go. I have used Creative cards for years,but I find the Xonar series sound cards to be the absolute best for gaming.

Jackquelegs December 26, 2012 01:36 AM

If you're gonna spend money on the Tiamat, you might as well buy Astro A40s.

The tiamat has great directionality, but it sounds like crap

Slik December 26, 2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackquelegs (Post 680234)
If you're gonna spend money on the Tiamat, you might as well buy Astro A40s.

The tiamat has great directionality, but it sounds like crap

The Tiamat headphones do NOT sound like crap. The software provides a mryiad of settings,pre-sets etc. that allow the user to fine tune for gaming,music or movies. The A40s are no doubt a good set,but can only provide an emulated surround sound. If a gamer is using a sound card,why would he want digital surround when a true analog surround is available? The OP mentioned gaming,and right now the Tiamats are the best gaming analog surround headphones available. As you well know,I have owned pretty much every set of gaming headphones out there,and as of today,I find the Tiamats waaaay ahead of the pack. I didn't know you had a set of these.