Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   Best sound card for a Sennheiser HD598 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/58192-best-sound-card-sennheiser-hd598.html)

the Sliver November 29, 2012 09:27 AM

Best sound card for a Sennheiser HD598

Hey guys,

Picked up a Sennheiser HD598 for around 200$ at amazon.ca and really loving the sound! I've got it plugged in to my HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card but from what I read, it sounds like I should upgrade to a soundcard with an amp to really get the most out of the cans.

I use the headset for gaming and music (and usually both at the same time lol). I've been eyeing the Asus Xonar Essence STX but the Asus Xonar Pheobus caught my eye as well. I should note that I wouldn't call myself an audiophile, but I do appreciate great sound.

Which should I set my sights on for a boxing day sale? :)

summak November 29, 2012 10:23 AM

although a professional series, but get avid mbox, although usb powers, but sound is efffing clear.

I have a xonar dg, and they are a little better than my onboard, it was like 3% to 5% improvement. But my brothers mbox is totally in a different level, over 9000 i would say

havnt had any chance for xonar stx, but m gonna go for the avid one wen i upgrade next

SugarJ November 29, 2012 10:34 AM

If you are using it for music a lot, get an STX. I have a Phoebus and love it, but I think the STX is better for music.

lowfat November 29, 2012 11:02 AM

You could likely still use the HT Omega then buy yourself an external headphone amp. I use a FiiO E9 to drive my Sennheiser HD650s and it sounds fantastic. Plus having an physical volume knob is very handy. The E9 runs about $120ish from DX.com.

Keywork November 29, 2012 12:30 PM

Hey lowfat, do you use an E17 along with your E9 by any chance?

lowfat November 29, 2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keywork (Post 674251)
Hey lowfat, do you use an E17 along with your E9 by any chance?

No. I have an E7 but it lacked bass severely so I quit using it a while back. I use a X-Fi Titanium HD now.

the Sliver November 29, 2012 01:51 PM

Would the E9 produce similar quality to the Essence STX?

And I use these headphones equally for music and games (and like I said, usually both at the same time!).

BeaverBender November 29, 2012 02:00 PM

I use the Fiio E9 + E17 with my AKG Q701's... works amazing :punk:

I got them at the Headphone Bar... good Canadian place for online audio products:

AKG Q701 - Headphone Bar

lowfat November 29, 2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Sliver (Post 674274)
Would the E9 produce similar quality to the Essence STX?

And I use these headphones equally for music and games (and like I said, usually both at the same time!).

The E9 is just an amplifier. So sound quality still depends on the sound card quite a bit. I have never actually used the HT Omega Striker but it is a rather high end card. But I would think it should sound rather good.

domoarigato363 November 29, 2012 06:19 PM

Sound Blaster ZxR, Zx, or Z

Creative reveals Sound Blaster ZxR, Zx, and Z PCI-Express sound cards, pumps up the volume

:punk: