Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 23, 2012, 11:43 AM
Allstar

Default Bose wave radio: who owns one?

Does anyone own one of these? Someone I know keeps getting the flyers in the mail for them, and keeps asking me if it's worth buying, I have to give them the same speech every time, that it's overpriced in my opinion, and will just collect dust like their other radio. Is there any convincing features to own one? (not from a Bose salesman please!).
Old November 23, 2012, 12:12 PM
Allstar

I've owned Bose speakers and they mostly have sounded good if not spectacular. I've never owned one of these so cannot comment on the quality though I'd expect it likely better than similar products. I do however not believe their advertising that it can replace a properly installed stereo system with good speakers as far as sound quality is concerned.

If you want what is probably decent sound and are really starved for space, or want something for a kitchen or maybe work area then it's likely a decent option if a bit pricey.

That's my 2 cents :)
Old November 23, 2012, 01:57 PM
Allstar

Its the best sounding alarm clock I have ever heard.... My mother in-law won one at a drug convention, small rooms is where it shines. It does not sound bad but I would never personally buy one. If they like decent sound with more $ then time to look for a decent setup with a small room then that's the system for them.
Old November 23, 2012, 02:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Friends have one. It's got a weighty quality feel to it and it sounds pretty good for the size. The folded-horn tricks they do actually seem to produce surprising amounts of bass for the small size of the unit. Plays CD's well. Theirs doesn't support MP3 etc, but it has a 3.5mm stereo aux in, so they usually connect their sansamp click+ to that. It's also portable enough they take it camping, to the cabin, etc.

Value for money? I think you can get sound as good or better from a decent boombox or shelf system. It's not going to sound as good as a real stereo setup. You can probably get a boombox for less money than the Bose. But the boombox will be larger and uglier, so... I guess that's what you're paying for.
Old November 23, 2012, 04:42 PM
Top Prospect

My aunt and grand folks have one. I would say that there is a 150$ premium on them (probably make 200$+) on each unit sold. They are the best contained setup however. I would suggest that your acquaintance hear one before making a purchase. There is the analog digital debate mixed up in this radio. When setting up my aunts Bose we hauled away their old 600$ shelf stereo from the 90's. My friend said he preferred the 90's Kenwood to the Bose while I preferred the Bose. That said any mid range setup with a good receiver blows the Bose out of the water.
Old November 23, 2012, 07:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It is a high priced gimmick - I have heard before that you could get equivalent sound for less $. You pay the brand name. Sound is decent for its size but it will in no way replace a fully installed quality sound system - Of course like any infomercials you see on TV, things are hyped and over exaggerated.
Old November 23, 2012, 11:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I think of Bose like I think of Apple. You pay a premium for the brand recognition and ease of use but with a bit of effort and research and upkeep you can get a far superior experience for the same price.

Just do a google search on "bose audiophile" and there are some good discussions about the brand