Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   <$100 gaming headset (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/57902-100-gaming-headset.html)

Bond007 November 15, 2012 05:45 AM

<$100 gaming headset

Hey everyone. I have been recently commenting on some other audio threads and it got me thinking it is time to upgrade my headset. Its used solely for gaming (after the kids and wife are in bed...in the day I use my 5.1 setup), so must sound good, and have a built in mic. Can't say I have kept up to date these, so help is much appreciated. Prefer wired, but a good deal on wireless would be fine. A quick look on NCIX shows me a few that I remember, and some newer ones I am not familiar with.

Some options I saw are Logitech G35 or G930, Corsair vengeance 1300 or 1500 or maybe 2000, older Corsair HS1 (currently on sale for only $50), Razer Banshee headset (looks like a gimmick to me), Roccat Kave ROC-14-500 (a bit expensive, but may go on sale), Creative Labs Sound Blaster Tactic360, etc. That is just what I noticed, but I am open to any and all headsets from any large box store/NCIX/memoryexpress/etc.

I am not loyal to a certain brand, and value only sound quality and comfort secondary. I am after a full size headset.

This is to replace an excellent sounding Panasonic full size headset (no mic and 6 years old...at the end of its life), and a smaller Sennheiser set with a mic (sounds decent, and works, but its not good enough).

EDIT: more to add to the list from suggestions below Siberia V2, and Sennheiser 330

trayton November 15, 2012 07:11 AM

There are tons of different head sets depends on what you find comfortable as well etc. I personally really like the Siberia V2's and they are on sale right now from 89.99 to 59.99 which is kinda nice :)

BlueByte November 15, 2012 07:59 AM

The Sennheiser 330 are always on sale for under $100 having the 360's and the 350's being good for modding I would assume the 330 would be a decent set.

Kilauea November 15, 2012 11:43 AM

I personally enjoy my Cooler Master Sirius 5.1 even if I use them connected with USB. Not quite sure why nobody ever recommends them (aside from the fact very few own them). They often go on special for less than 100$.

SugarJ November 15, 2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueByte (Post 671009)
The Sennheiser 330 are always on sale for under $100 having the 360's and the 350's being good for modding I would assume the 330 would be a decent set.

The sound was ok on my PC330's, but they squeeze the crap out of your head. I had to get rid of them. Be forewarned if you have a larger than average head.

EDIT: For your budget, look at "regular" headphones and use a clip-on mic. You'll get better sound for your money rather than buying a gaming headset. I use a set of Audio Technica ATH-AD700's currently, but they are open back so lack a little on the bass.

Bond007 November 15, 2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarJ (Post 671071)
The sound was ok on my PC330's, but they squeeze the crap out of your head. I had to get rid of them. Be forewarned if you have a larger than average head.

EDIT: For your budget, look at "regular" headphones and use a clip-on mic. You'll get better sound for your money rather than buying a gaming headset. I use a set of Audio Technica ATH-AD700's currently, but they are open back so lack a little on the bass.

Just read a few reviews, and the 330's are off the table as a choice. Seems they are great sounding in an unwearable design. Also they are not full size (circumaural), which I want. I would prefer a headphone/mic in one, but if I can get better better quality sound along with a clip on mic for the same price, then I would definitely consider it. Keep the good options flowing. All good info.

Generic User #2 November 15, 2012 07:08 PM

Corsair Vengeance 2000 FTW!!!

I have it and I absolutely love it. The wireless is totally awesome. It's on sale for $100 at NCIX right now.

Bond007 November 17, 2012 02:23 PM

Any more weekend comments?

Right now I am thinking about grabbing a set of Siberia V2, since I can grab them local for $60 right now and give it a go (could always return if I don't like them).

Bond007 November 17, 2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Looked around and the AD700 seem to be around $150. Is there somewhere cheaper to buy the from (I didn't find many places selling them)?

burebista November 19, 2012 04:21 AM

Quote:

Best advice. :thumb:
Xonar D1 + ATH-T500 + mic from my Logitech webcam = me happy gamer. :biggrin:
Fortunately I'm not an audiophile maniac so this setup is perfect fine for me at a somewhat decent budget.