Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 22, 2012, 11:41 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Unhappy Asus Xonar Dx nightmare!

I bought asus xonar DX sound card in may this year and have been facing problems since then. Finally the rear “front” port stopped working so I gave it for RMA. Got a new one couple of days ago and now this new one gives random BSODs and restarts. My PC is usually stable (I rarely experience restarts and BSODs on my PC) But this hardware (xonar DX) is a nightmare! I’ve tried all almost all drivers available including the old one released for vista, the one by Daniel K as well. My configuration is mentioned in my siggy.
Could it be something to do with the mainboard or i got another malfuntioning card?
Personally i wanted to buy the PCI version of this card but geeks strongly suggested me to go with this one as they said PCIx1 has better bandwidth. I think i've made a mistake or i'm getting all the bad batch xonar dxs asus is throwing in my country.
Please help....
Old October 22, 2012, 11:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

pci vs pci-e for a soundcard will have little benefit. Most people go pci-e simply for the ease.
Old October 22, 2012, 12:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
pci vs pci-e for a soundcard will have little benefit. Most people go pci-e simply for the ease.
I went PCIe as i thought it'lll make a big difference as data tranfer in pcie is 30-40 times faster? I even did this ...
As you can see even after this mod, the card when fitted on the pci-e is still slightly bent. Could this be the reason why 2 cards seems to fail in my rig?
Attached Images

Old October 22, 2012, 12:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I've heard this card works in the PCIX16 slot as well but when i connected mine it the system stuck in bios so i guess it doesnot work in PCIx16 slot.
Old October 22, 2012, 12:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would say the audio card and the motherboard layout isn't going to work out.

That much bend in the card could very well cause the problems you're talking about.
Old October 22, 2012, 12:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would uninstall the drivers and then reboot re install, I haven't had any problems with mine when I used to use it

Edit I just noticed your picture there . that is a problem. I thought that you could plug that into a PCIE16 slot
Old October 22, 2012, 12:37 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I would say the audio card and the motherboard layout isn't going to work out.

That much bend in the card could very well cause the problems you're talking about.
Well the pcb is slightly bent, can it cause so much problem? I'm not negating you but i want a more convincing answer :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I would uninstall the drivers and then reboot re install, I haven't had any problems with mine when I used to use it

Edit I just noticed your picture there . that is a problem. I thought that you could plug that into a PCIE16 slot
I tried plugging it into the PCIx16 slot but it didnot boot, got stuck in BIOS. So what do i do? Upgrade to a new system with a mobo with a better layout or go for the D1 (PCI version?)
Old October 22, 2012, 01:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

a card with that much bend can cause cracked or broken traces unseen to the eye. personally. you need a shorter card as that is interfering with your ram slots.
Old October 22, 2012, 01:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
a card with that much bend can cause cracked or broken traces unseen to the eye. personally looks like something is not lined up in general with that case.
There is no good sound card made in this world at this price point (atleast in my country )

Last edited by Rockfella; October 22, 2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old October 22, 2012, 01:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, a bent card can cause your problems. Does your system run fine without the card installed?