Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   ASUS Xonar Essence STX (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/56873-asus-xonar-essence-stx.html)

SEGACDX September 23, 2012 01:27 AM

ASUS Xonar Essence STX

So Iíve been looking around at high-end sound cards for my computer and this seemed to be the best out there.

My Intend uses are: Music production, gaming and listening to music.

Somewhere I heard that the ST had slightly better audio quality but really considering future compatibility with newer hardware is more important.

I wanted to get the STX instead of the ST because it uses PCI and the STX uses PCI-E.

So if I upgrade my computer I do not want to be stuck with something I cannot use on a newer Motherboard since PCI is almost completely phased out on high-end hardware.

If you have this sound card I would like to know these four things.

How is the sound quality?

What are your personal thoughts about the product? Pros & Cons.

What kind of applications do you use it for?

Should I buy one?

Thank you for your time.

GT7R September 23, 2012 02:42 AM

I don't know who told you that the ST is better, AFAIK the STX is the highest-end card Asus has. I use it purely for listening music (with Shure 1440s) and some Soundforge editing. Very impressive card.

SEGACDX September 23, 2012 04:25 AM

I know that it’s probably not true and that there are both just as good as each other, If I find the post I’ll link it here.
Since you said that headphone you’re using I may as well say what I am going to get.
I’ve been set on pair of ATH-A900x’s for some time.
Here are some images of the headphones.
PretentiousFood's album

GT7R September 23, 2012 04:51 AM

I've tested quite a few cans with that card (bought it when my old and trusty technics AMP died). It's a very strong performer across the board, and it's software is extremely simple and intuitive. I use the card to power my Microlab Solo 7C speakers for movies and occasional music when I don't use the headphones and again - the sound quality is top notch for a PC soundcard.

nasrott September 28, 2012 04:06 AM

It is supossed to be the best sound card u can buy bar going separates to say a fiio e17 on USB or DAC/amp then to your cans. I have had the Stx for years now switched up or should say down to a pheobus for gaming. I use a creative external thx sound card now on my ad700's and have been lurking around headfi forums for awhile now. Gaming I use set of pc360 senns, music the creative for now and the ad700 audio technica's. Gave the Stx to my son with a set of hd555 sens. Currently deciding what to get next as far DAC/AMP.

Cptn Vortex October 3, 2012 07:14 AM

I LOVE my STX. I use it in conjunction with my m-Audio AV40's and my AKG K171 MK2 Headphones, they sound amazing together. The spdif output is also great to my receiver. Software wise it could be better, but it does what I need it too. I do highly recommend this Asus card.

TheGomdoRi November 18, 2012 06:48 PM

How is the sound quality?
- subjectively good
What are your personal thoughts about the product? Pros & Cons.
- very nice product, will recycle for future builds
- pros: headphone amp, enjoyable to listen to
- cons: I don't believe it is intended for music production - there are probably better cards for production, it is steep for a soundcard
What kind of applications do you use it for?
- music listening via headphones or 2.0 speakers
Should I buy one?
-
maybe..

The ST is technically superior to the STX - something to do with jitter I forget where I saw it. But yeah I'd get the STX hands down if I were to choose.